Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-15-2015, 10:57 AM

Default Laurel Fork and Doe River

This weekend I will be heading up to chase after some wild brownies on the Doe, Laurel Fork and possibly Beaverdam as well. These streams contain quality fish and are a nice way to escape the local tailwater crowds on the SoHo and Watauga. My personal best wild brown trout came from the Doe 2 summers ago, measured him right at 18.5 inches. Here's hoping to a repeat of some more like him this weekend. I will keep you all posted.

Here's a picture of the Doe River Brownie

Shear Girth on that dude

Pure Butter

This is a very common sized brownie on Laurel Fork

Last edited by Chase Turner; 06-16-2015 at 09:28 AM..
Old 06-15-2015, 02:09 PM

I just got to fish eastern Tennessee and the GSMNP for trout this spring for the first time. I've done a good bit of reading and have purchased several books on the area and I absolutely have these streams on my bucket list and may even spend an overnight or two in the area this fall. Thanks for the photos and info.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:08 PM

Looks like it was a free for all on Browns for you.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
Looks like it was a free for all on Browns for you.
It truly is a nice area not only because of the fishing quality, but also because most crowds flock to the Watauga or SoHo. Seclusion and quality fish are a lethal combination my friend.

Last edited by Chase Turner; 06-16-2015 at 09:31 AM..
Old 06-16-2015, 08:37 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Turner View Post
Seclusion and quality fish are a lethal combination my friend.
True words indeed

Unfortunately naming "easy to access" streams with quality fishing is also a lethal combination

While I have no problem saying I was fishing Starkey or Left Fork of Raven Fork or Bulldie, I have personally seen how my posts have changed fishing conditions (more pressure - less willing fish) on easy to access streams. I am pretty much an open book on a private level, but have grown more wary when posting on forums. Even my clues in most of my posts now may even hint too much.

Just some friendly advice, feel free to take it or leave it

Last edited by duckypaddler; 06-16-2015 at 08:55 AM..
Old 06-16-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
True words indeed

Unfortunately naming "easy to access" streams with quality fishing is also a lethal combination

While I have no problem saying I was fishing Starkey or Left Fork of Raven Fork or Bulldie, I have personally seen how my posts have changed fishing conditions (more pressure - less willing fish) on easy to access streams. I am pretty much an open book on a private level, but have grown more wary when posting on forums. Even my clues in most of my posts now may even hint too much.

Just some friendly advice, feel free to take it or leave it
I completely see where you are coming from, and am the same way when talking about specific locations or areas of a stream that I enjoy fishing. Sometimes I could be more careful, but at the same time I try to be an ambassador for the sport when possible. I reckon it's just a fine line to travel. I guess having read this forum for the past several years, I know the quality of the type of people on here and am willing to share ideas of places I have been blessed to fish. Thankfully these streams are the farthest thing from "easy" access, and would require a substantial amount of work to get to and fish. But your advice is duly noted my friend.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:42 AM

Nothing in this world more fun than productive fishing with nobody around. Good looking browns.