Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 03-29-2011, 12:38 PM

Default Where to Fish at New Symrna Beach?

Ok guys I need some advice, I read the forums everyday but rarely post. I will be going to New Symrna beach for vaction in the middle of June and was hoping to do some fishing while I was down there. Laying on the beach for 6 hours isn't my type of vacation, I will leave that for my wife to enjoy . I have read online that the Indian river and Mosquito lagoon are great fishing options down there. What I want to know, is where should/can I fish down there on land and have a good opportunity to catch some fish. Yes I know getting a guide who has a boat would be the ideal option but this trip has to be budget friendly. Even if I only catch one fish I will be happy. So basically...where should I go while I am down there, should I concentrate on surf fishing or should I try the rivers and lagoons. Are there public acces spots on the rivers and lagoons that I can access by land? Can you fish in any of the parks or reserves down there? Would these be good options? Also if you have any recommendations on tackle and gear that would be appreciated to. Thanks in advance for your responses. Hope to post some pictures of some fish when I return.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:36 PM

Don't fish saltwater but there was a "shorty" on the Weather Channel last summer. NSB has the highest incidents of shark attacks on the east coast. Thought you might want to know beforehand.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:34 PM

Default New Smyrna Mosquito Lagoon

Do a search on the message board for "New Smyrna Beach". I went there last June and received several replys to my post about access points etc. My experience was that the surf fishing was pretty rough for the gear that I had, but I caught a few whiting and baby redfish. I really needed a bigger surf rod with more weight. I did wade fish a couple of days in Mosquito Lagoon. Caught several catfish, but no trout, redfish, etc. By mid june it is pretty hot down there so the redfish etc didn't seem to be in the wadable sections of the lagoon. If I had it to do over again I would either get a guide or rent a kayak if $ is an issue. If you search some of the kayak fishing boards, you may be able to find someone who will rent you there already geared up kayak. (I had some offers for this in Tampa before). I found myself looking over my shoulder for alligators most of the time I was wading. I did see a bunch of manatees which was cool. It is a huge lagoon and wading is better than not fishing, but it is hard when there is so much water you can't get to. Good luck