Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-05-2011, 11:22 AM

Default At what age do you?

Put a fly rod in your kids hands? Mine is 4 and i'm thinking he is getting close. He can cast a normal rod very well. He wants to fly fish like me, so I'm thinking I'm going to start teaching him in the yard, just the way I learned. I found some youth waders that will fit him. I'm ordering them tonight.

I'm thinking that Millers island and down around the jail would be good places to take him.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:17 PM

I don't think I'd take kids that small to "the jail". Unless it's changed recently I'd say it'd be a bit too deep for him. I'd probably go to Miller's Island or below the Weir.

I'd say take him to the smokies, but if he's like my son he's more impressed with a larger stocker than a small wild trout. If you do go to the smokies, I'd say fish a stream with lots of smaller pools, so that when he splashes around and spooks the fish you can just move up to a higher pool.

--Matt
Old 04-05-2011, 02:06 PM

I am thinking about the same things these days. My oldest kid is only 2 so we have a few years to go till I buy her first rod.

I've always imagined starting off on bass or sunfish since the technique is so much simpler than trout fishing and the fish are so aggressive.

Good luck and let me know how to do it. I can't wait to teach my kids!
Old 04-05-2011, 02:30 PM

Talking

Eli, has been on a couple of float trips with me last year, the kid can catch'em on a roaster tail pretty good. I have even should him how to catch carp on a yellow wooly worm dipped in corn juice. Farm ponds with bule gill have been fun as well. I'm thinkin I might just go ahead and take him this weekend. if you guys see big ol' guy with a little blond headed boy next to his side down at the Church, stop and say Hi!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
Put a fly rod in your kids hands? Mine is 4 and i'm thinking he is getting close. He can cast a normal rod very well. He wants to fly fish like me, so I'm thinking I'm going to start teaching him in the yard, just the way I learned. I found some youth waders that will fit him. I'm ordering them tonight.

I'm thinking that Millers island and down around the jail would be good places to take him.

Any thoughts?
Same questions here Rodney. My little guy is turning three and asks me to take him fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, etc. every time I go. He can cast his little cars rod like a champ, and is usually outside playing with it when I get home from work. However, a 3' long spincast outfit has a much lighter swing weight than an 8' 4-wt fly rod. So, I would say take him out in the yard and see how he handles the rod. If it is too heavy for him, then I would wait until he shows that he can handle it.

A fellow blogger buddy of mine bought his son a training fly fishing setup when he was two, and by the time he was three they were taking monthly father/son backpacking fishing trips in the southwest US.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 04-05-2011, 05:20 PM

I am not a dad so take this with the vast amount of knowledge of zero, I hope you will put a life jacket on him. I would be scared to death at the Church. There are some deep holes there and as someone who has taken a header I would be scared to death. I think the left side of Millers island or the weir would be a better area. I could not fish with the 'worry wart" the size of a hen's egg protruding from my throat. I know this, any place you take him he will have a great time. I remember the trips my dad took with me and they have lasted forever.

DBK
Old 04-05-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
Put a fly rod in your kids hands? Mine is 4 and i'm thinking he is getting close. ?

My grandson is 6. I've been working with his for a year with a fly-rod. Age 4 is a good time to start working with them. I found the attention span to be the obstacle to overcome at age 4. Took him to the Tellico last week. His first ever trout by himself. The grin says it all.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:58 AM

First, let me qualify here- my wife is director of our church's daycare program and has been around preschoolers for 21 years. She says that kids develop and learn at different "rates." With that, go with what the youngster is ready for. What is the attention span? Different for each kid. Last year, I took two grandsons, ages 4 and 6-1/2 to a small pond loaded with bluegill. Didn't count at they caught fish on every cast; bluegill would fight over the fly (spincast with small bobber and a fly). That got them started. I plan on fishing for bluegill in a small creek that runs through town; "A Creek Runs Through It." This year I plan on taking them to a small trout stream that, I am told, is a good place. I will use a 6 ft, 2 wt. rod that I built for the Smokies a couple of years ago. We will start practicing the basics with it since the weather is warming up....finally.
Good luck with the rods and the kids! Let us know how things go. Pictures, too.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:39 PM

Four or five is fine... what's important is that they have a good time... keep it simple and use really stiff leader and tippet or you will spend the entire day picking out wind knots... kids seem to think if they keep casting wind knots will straighten themselves out! My boys fished with maxima until they were old enough to repair their own leaders.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:40 PM

I have fly fished forever but I have an 11 yr old daughter and it seems that I would rather fish any way the child wants to and currently she dearly loves drowning minnows for crappie and any thing else. My advise is don't push fly fishing too early, just have some fun in the outdoors together. If they are hellbent to fly fish then by all means get them headed that way, otherwise make every excursion an overwhelming success to keep them interested in fishing and piddling around rivers.