Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-08-2011, 11:47 PM

Default 11th Hour Reprieve, No Shutdown

Looks like Boehmer caved in and settled for a $38 billion dollar cut in federal spending, which everyone in Washington applauded and yelled, "Hurrah for our side!", thus avoiding a federal shutdown of all the US government departments, including the NPS. GSMNP is still open for business!

So you guys are able to go fishing this weekend in the park (excellent), and I get to come down to Elkmont in two weeks. (Super!)

The American people will get the bill later!

I'm glad that BS is over with!

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 04-09-2011, 01:04 AM

Whitefeather I think the extension was just a temporary 6 day one but at least we got this weekend before we have to go think about it again next week. That being said we are blessed to have this weekend to go fishing!

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 04-09-2011, 01:18 AM

Default Short term.

Adam is correct, it is only short term.

Good news is i am fishing this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Old 04-09-2011, 01:48 AM

I'd like to see some serious progress made to advert this situation every couple of weeks.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:56 AM

Completely agree flyman.

I have been a bit spoiled by living here. It is hard to imagine not having access to the park.

Was sitting around a fire with some fishing buddies last night. I have to admit....it wasent the usual banter. We ended up talking politics. The usual conversation consists of planning the next adventure.

I can bet...the 3 of us will never take our national parks for granted. Our conversation turn to preservation, education and teaching a new generation our great sport. Im blessed with great friends!!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:16 AM

Everyone,

The "short term" wasn't in the first press release or I just didn't see it. At any rate the park is still open for a "while" and you guys that live down there can still fish the waters.

And yes, IMO, you are greatly blessed as sportsman to live that close to the park.

It just seemed to me that the whole way in which the park was going to respond to a shutdown was just plain mean and vindictive and insulting to the people that had to sacrifice their land that became the park.

This was what is sometimes called a "show of force" by whoever (at the top) dictated the total park closing policy, holding it and a number of other things hostage by a bunch of greedy and self-centered politicians.

If they don't quit spending us and our great grandchildren into such horrific monumental debt, then some foreign entity will end up holding the "keys" to our parks, national forests, and wildlife sanctuaries to pay the debt.

If you think about it, with people like this in charge, our whole way of life is "short term'!

Old 04-09-2011, 09:29 AM

I would have loved to come down to Elkmont to meet some of you good people and fish the LR and tributaries in the park, but I'm not going to take a chance on having my vacation interrupted by more bickering and threats of shutdowns in the near future in the park.

So I'm going to go down to Cherokee National Forest, that is managed by the TWRC, and fish the North River and its tributaries, Big Snowbird creek, and the Tellico. At least that way I'll get some peace and quite fishing.

Besides, knowing that the money I spend on camping and supplies will help out Dixie, a friend of ours who owns the camp ground adjacent to the CNFand the folks of Tellico Plains, makes me feel a lot better.

They have been hit real hard by this economic "slump" to the point that where customers are few and far between. Dixie says it's the worse she's seen in the forty some years she has owned the property. So it just seems like the right thing to do.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:00 AM

The way I understood it, the big holdup was exactly how big the cuts were going to be. One group was shooting for $64 billion (or there abouts) but the other side wouldn't go that much. In the agreement last night, both sides agreed to settle for the more modest $38 billion. So now they have a week to figure out exactly where the $38 billion in cuts will happen. But they have agreed in principle and now are working out the details. I guess you could call that progress (which, apparently is the exact opposite of congress, but I digress). At any rate, unless somebody gets their tail over the dashboard and sulls up next week, we should be OK, at least until the next round of budget preparations.

And whitefeather, if you'll be staying in Tellico Plains after all, I'd still like to meet up with you and hit the North River or something in that area on the 26th. That's just as close to me as the park is.

Later,
SC
Old 04-09-2011, 11:05 AM

Even the thought of loosing access to the park for a few weeks would indeed be terrible for a majority of people. However, think about all the military families depending on a monthly salary to pay a mortgage or car payment and having to either find the funds else where or be late on a payment. The military personnel would be back payed and all the while these congressmen (whom most wouldn't know what a mortgage would look like) keep getting their ridiculous salary as if nothing is going on.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:25 PM

FishNHunt,

You are so right! The military and especially their families would have really been screwed over if this had taken place. It would have been a monumental insult to their dedication and service also.

They were even saying that the militaries death benefits would have been cutoff should they be killed in action over there. Leaving the families to cope with NOTHING!

That's outrageous! It just goes to show what these political types think of the common man in this country today. They all act like they are royalty and we are the surfs.

And so many people that make their living off of the outdoor sporting industries using the parks and national forests and the like would have lost a lot of business.

May God have mercy on the "little folk" in the USA. These things will be judged!

Stan,

I'll shoot you an email and let you know where we will be down in Tellico Plains after I concur with the wife. I think she'd rather go down to Tellico also. She really liked it our last trip. She's rather fond of the Tellico Bakery and Cafe and really liked the cabins we stayed in, but this time we are taking the TT with full hookups to water and sewers so it will be a lot more convenient all the way around. Just ten bucks a day for a site with all that and laundry to boot and a nice pond to fish in right next to us.

It's easy to find, 360 N out of Tellico Plains toward Tellico Lake.

I checked and there is about 18 wild trout streams that feed the North River between its confluence with the Tellico River and the NC state line. Last time I was there in April, there wasn't a soul up there except me. North Road parallels it the whole way.

I'd like to fish North Fork of Citico Creek also. It looks pretty easy to get to from the FS maps on Indian Boundary Road. And of course, while I'm that close I just got to go over to Big Snowbird via the Cherohala.

The best part of the Tellico between Turkey Creek and North River is closed on Thurs and Friday. And there's a daily permit fee for it also besides the TN license. Didn't fish it the last time because it was closed.

Nice smallies in the lower elevations of Tellico too. Caught some nice ones on streamers. Big, big wide water (fly fishermans heaven) up against rock walls and quite wadeable, but slick...bring your felts. It's as bad as the park!

By the time you come down, I should be able to fill you in on them and we can go from there.

Gotta go tie some more bugs. Later!