Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-07-2011, 11:10 AM

In regards to the drinking water. Most water treatment plants now days use a membrane filter which looks like long strands of spaghetti that is pores. The water is drawn threw these and is only the beginning of a long line in treating the water. These water treatment plants remove down to the virus levels. E-coli is naturally in water along with all other pathogens that will make you sick. These treatment plants filter all this out (minus the hormones). You wouldn't notice any difference in your water from last week. These systems are that good. It's just a mind over matter type thing. It's clean water but, now you know what was in it.

Being that it was the Pigeon river I rarely fish it but, had it been the little river I wouldn't worry about fishing it as soon as the river came down to a suitable level. The only ill effects that I could see after the current river flow decreased might be cosmetics actually. You MAY see some inorganic like a stated earlier. The fish should be just fine and I would be truly shocked if there were any fish killed. I can't say that the river would be 100% e-coli free but, I couldn't have said that before the breech.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:22 PM

FishNHunt, thanks for sharing your expertise.
Regarding medications, when my mother went into a nursing home, I couldn't give them to the nursing home. Liability, I suppose. I took them to our local CVS pharmacy and they said they would dispose of them. I encourage others to take them to a pharmacy to dispose of any old or unneeded medications, OTC or prescription.
Male smallmouth bass in the Potomac River had been found to have eggs in them. Scientists and biologists feel this is due to people putting hormone medications into the water supply.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:19 PM

Speaking of bass, I was planning on fishing for smallies in pigeon forge (somewhere in town) and have been looking forward to april and my first smallie on a flyrod for months. I guess that's not a good idea with the spill...

--Matt
Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 AM

Matt, there's always the LR- it's got a healthy smallmouth population on down from the park.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:53 AM

I observed the river yesterday in sevierville. It has a light, but definite stench to it, and there is what I believe looks like toilet paper (I wasn't going to touch it to find out) strewn throughout the trees. Other than that, the water doesn't look bad, just a little high. At the city park, which was packed with people, there were no signs to warn people of the situation. This tells me that the city is either totally irresponsible, or knows that its not a big deal.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttas67 View Post
I observed the river yesterday in sevierville. It has a light, but definite stench to it, and there is what I believe looks like toilet paper (I wasn't going to touch it to find out) strewn throughout the trees. Other than that, the water doesn't look bad, just a little high. At the city park, which was packed with people, there were no signs to warn people of the situation. This tells me that the city is either totally irresponsible, or knows that its not a big deal.
I believe the city of Sevierville, Pigeon forge, and especially Gatlinburg are all totally irresponsible for how they take care of the river. They only think about how they can bring more tourist in. look how much money is spent on widening the roads. G-burg has been cited by the EPA many times for its waste water system. They don't get fined, so they just don't do anything about it.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
Male smallmouth bass in the Potomac River had been found to have eggs in them. Scientists and biologists feel this is due to people putting hormone medications into the water supply.
Actually research is starting to point more toward animal husbandry, particular Confined Animal Feed Operations, rather than medical waste. Vicki Blazer is the lead research on the issue (particular on the Shenandoah and Potomac).
Old 04-09-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttas67

"I believe the city of Sevierville, Pigeon forge, and especially Gatlinburg are all totally irresponsible for how they take care of the river. They only think about how they can bring more tourist in. look how much money is spent on widening the roads. G-burg has been cited by the EPA many times for its waste water system. They don't get fined, so they just don't do anything about it. "

Right on Gary and they won't pay attention until they're hit where it hurts, in the wallet. I work at a power plant where we fire a small amount of coal, I'm the main contact for the EPA and the state air quality inspectors as well as all emissions equipment. You would not believe the amount of regulation we have to traverse each day, it's literally hard to keep up with!
The last several times I or my wife have fished the stocked water in G-burg we have carried a bag and picked up trash. It's nasty under those bridges through town. I have stood in G-burg and wondered at what a pretty river that must have been a couple hundred years ago to look like it does now.