Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 04-06-2011, 04:48 PM

Default Absolutely A Rookie In Training

Well I never thought I would ever get the bug to try to learn this craft, but here I am, fumbling about trying to figure out what's what and how to use it.

I should have done this about 40 years ago when my hands were still steady but I had enough on the plate back then. It was always something that I would learn some day when I had more time. Now I do. No excuse.

It's a lot easier to plunk down the cash to buy these creations from someone who knows how to do it right. Its cheaper too.

But then again I would miss all the fun of dropping everything on the floor, stepping on it or kicking it out of sight. Poking my fingers with the darn hook points while putting them in the vise. Missing a wrap on the hackle only to have the whole thing unravel before my eyes as I am admiring my work. Putting on too much or not enough.

Yeh, I know, that has its learning curve too, but I have already picked up a few tips from you guys that do this all the time and they are really helpful. And quite a few of you are quite talented artists in this craft.

But the thing that keeps me energized is my imagination and being able to create something I can visualize that doesn't exist yet. Here is my latest attempt. It's a streamer called the Queen's Guard Royale.

You know, those guys with the funny, tall, black furry hats. I think they call them bonnets or something like that.

Anyway, it is a combination of my favorite fly pattern, the Royal Coachman, the very first fly I owned when I was about nine years old and another well known fly pattern called the Renegade.

The colors are the colors of the Queens Guard Uniform except for the white buttons and the tall black furry hat. So that's why there is so much hackle in front. The tail immolates the guard's saber en duo.

Number 8, Attractor/Streamer, Queens Guard Royale.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather

Last edited by whitefeather; 04-07-2011 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: added
Old 04-06-2011, 06:25 PM

Whitefeather-

That's a great looking fly. If you don't mind, would you share the recipe with us?

Have you fished it yet, and how did it work?

Thanks

Bill
Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckytroutbum View Post
Whitefeather-

That's a great looking fly. If you don't mind, would you share the recipe with us?

Have you fished it yet, and how did it work?

Thanks

Bill
Bill,

No, I haven't fished it yet. Was going to "kick the tires and take it for a test drive" down on LR on the 20th of April a long with my other creation, the BH Torpedo, I should have posted about here, instead on the Smoky Mountain thread. If the park doesn't close because of the shutdown, that is!

As a matter of a fact, I just tied it today. Called it Queens Guard Royale. The soldiers that guard her majesty are called the Queen's Guard.

It's made the same way you would make a Royal Coachman. I watched a video on U-tube or somewhere like that and it showed step by step how to tie it. I searched on, "Royal Coachman Fly."

It uses the same ingredients, except for the thick brown hackle (I used black saddle hackle) for the forward underside of the fly and the white wings for the wet fly version, and the black hackle between the body end and the first peacock herl cluster, as is done with the Renegade pattern. I just thought it added some balance to the fly. Strictly for looks.

I used black saddle hackle leaving the fluffy down on the bottom of the feather, winding from the back-forward where the second peacock herl cluster ends in front, to imitate the fluffy guard hat.

I don't know what all of the correct terms are yet.

I used 70 denier red, silk thread beginning at the front covering the hook to the rear.

Then added the tail quills of the fly with turkey feather, near the top of the feather where it is variegated brown-black-brown, solid band of black. I think it was about two or three vanes for each side. This gave it a realistic tail looking texture in appearance. Secured the quills down with the curve of the feather vanes curving up. Then wrapped the hook back towards the front just ahead of the rear body tip, leaving it red.

I used black saddle hackle for the rear, between the red end and the beginning of the first peacock herl cluster, winding 3 turns and securing with the red thread.

Then attached the peacock (4 strands, 4 wraps), tied it off and covered the tied ends with the red thread back and forth until all herl ends were completely covered and the body, level.

Wrapped the thread forward and began the front peacock herl cluster the same as the rear one. Finished wrapped the herl to the hook eye and back to the herl to tie on the black hackle.

Tied the fluffy end down and wrapped the black hackle forward to 1/8 inch of hook eye, and tied it off. Whip finished (as in, it whipped me and I was finished) the front and applied a drop of glue.

I can't use one of the old Thompson style whip finishers very well, so I got the other kind that pivots inside the handle. It works better but I am just not practiced enough with it.

I also used a short piece (1/2 inch or so) of 3/16 in. I.D.) surgical tubing to hold back the front, black hackle in a combed back position to get it out of the way for the whip finish.

I probably used more thread than an experienced person would need but I was going for appearance, not economy, and I didn't have any red silk for the body. I was going to unravel some red polyester ribbon and use that, but it didn't work out.

If I need to clarify any of the above, please just ask. I would be happy to answer.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:50 PM

Here's another attractor fly (number 14, dry fly) with nearly the same scheme, but a different name.

This one is called: Renegade Royale, Jack of Spades.

Last edited by whitefeather; 04-07-2011 at 12:23 AM..
Old 04-07-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefeather View Post
Nice flies and neat creations! Do you have any trouble with the flies sitting flat due to the longer hackle. I have tried some patterns similar and most of my flies laid over on their sides. I see that you have added some nice tails to stabilize. My only solution was to trim the hackle at half-crescent so that it would lay flat. I like the principle behind longer hackles in that it keeps that fly from getting too immersed in the film and helps to represent an insect on top of the water. Thanks for sharing. Davie McPhail ties a Royal Coachman Wet Fly that looks similar.

Check out some of David Cammiss's Flies! He is probably my favorite fly tyer (?)
http://www.youtube.com/user/topflyman#p/u/9/cQpEjMTo1SE
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 04-07-2011 at 09:29 AM..
Old 04-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Nice flies and neat creations! Do you have any trouble with the flies sitting flat due to the longer hackle. I have tried some patterns similar and most of my flies laid over on their sides. I see that you have added some nice tails to stabilize. My only solution was to trim the hackle at half-crescent so that it would lay flat. I like the principle behind longer hackles in that it keeps that fly from getting too immersed in the film and helps to represent an insect on top of the water. Thanks for sharing. Davie McPhail ties a Royal Coachman Wet Fly that looks similar.

Check out some of David Cammiss's Flies! He is probably my favorite fly tyer (?)
http://www.youtube.com/user/topflyman#p/u/9/cQpEjMTo1SE
Shawn,

Thanks!

I haven't had a chance to try the flies yet, so perhaps what you say with regards to stability, will happen. My relative inexperience didn't point to that possiblity.

I'm more or less just practicing tying some things at this point in time. First phase of the challenge.

I intended them to "ride high", but maybe they will have to be trimmed after I try them on a stream. If so, then I will trim accordingly, but I won't be able to "grow" the hackle back if I trim before hand.

I really was thinking they would probably sink anyway, if I don't use a floatant. I can get an Elk Hair Caddis dry fly to "sink" no matter what I do sometimes. LOL! It's just one of the things! I have trouble seeing them on the water so I fish them as if they were "sunk" or ridng just below the film.

Thanks for the tip! I'll remember to check them for stability before expecting any respectable fish to take them seriously! LOL!

Old 04-09-2011, 05:07 PM

Whitefeather:

I always enjoy the creations of a new fly tyer! Seems most nerw tyers find it simpler to create their own new pattern than figure out how to tie those store bought numbers they have used for years.... who knows; perhaps your new creations will be "magic bullet flies" that catch fish every time and all the time... still waiting for one of my own creations to work under all situations.

A tip for you; secure your feathers and fur from your dogs! Nothing worse than dog turd filled with feathers and fur.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Whitefeather:

I always enjoy the creations of a new fly tyer! Seems most nerw tyers find it simpler to create their own new pattern than figure out how to tie those store bought numbers they have used for years.... who knows; perhaps your new creations will be "magic bullet flies" that catch fish every time and all the time... still waiting for one of my own creations to work under all situations.

A tip for you; secure your feathers and fur from your dogs! Nothing worse than dog turd filled with feathers and fur.
Corbo, I completely agree and I love to see the neat patterns of a virgin tyer. Any; my dog has chewed up plenty of thread spools that I have dropped and not picked up fast enough.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:24 PM

Thanks Guys! I think I might get addicted to this after all! It stimulates my imagination!

Buddy, my yellow lab isn't a problem in that area. I broke him of that when he was younger. It's one of our young female cats (who I suspect was a pick pocket in a former life) is the one I've got to watch.

I had these flies on a foam disc after I tied them and went to the kitchen for a glass of water. She was sound asleep on the floor under the table about 15 feet from my tying bench.

I grabbed a bottle water from the fridge, turned around and she was coming into the kitchen with my disc and all the flies in her mouth. She didn't hurt most of them but broke one the tails off the #16 Lady Luck Dry Fly. I'm gonna put a bell on her. I could have choked her, but she is much faster than I am.

I'm taking these to the Tellico, North River, and Snowbird Creek for trim and testing. Full fish report and lure results when I return.

Lady Luck 1
#14 Dry hook
Peacock Herl
Black Nylon Thread 70D Anchor Wrap
Sulky 40 Embroidering Thread - Lavender 942 1193
Lavender Dyed Saddle Hackle
Dyed Green Deer Hair

Lady Luck 2
#16 Dry hook
Peacock Herl
Neutral Flat Nylon Thread 70D Anchor and Finish Wrap
Lavender Dyed Saddle Hackle
Dyed Green Deer Hair
Missing Tail Piece Courtesy of Chloee the Cat

Metalic Blue Sparkel Scud
#16 Scud Hook
Blue Metalic Embroidery Thread (Sulky142 #7016)
Silver Bead
Clear Coar - Wet & Wild Nail Polish 491A

The picture does not show it but this scud sparkles like crazy from all angles. About five or six coats of akrylic nail enamel. You can get this amazing thread in metallic green, yellow, and red also. Its metal wrapped thread. It isn't very large diameter, but it's strong.

Nail Beetles - Intruder
#14, #12 dry hook
silver bead 1 ea
green dyed deer hair
fly foam - flat
Fingr's 48 Pak Nail Kit - 2 ea. smallest size, skin pink, artificial finger nails
Nutra Nail 60 second One Coat Metailic Purple,
Loreal Perle Nail Polish #323 Sea Violet
black dubbing

The one on the left is a sinker, the one on the right is a floater.

Dusky Deuce Wet/Emerger
#10 nymph/wet hook

If this one floats, I'm on the Dead Sea.

silver beads - 2ea.
Peacock Herl
Black Thread
Olive Saddle Hackle
Tail - 2 vanes Turkey Feather cut at end of feather varigation

Spiral Worm Larvae - Ugly Bug
#12 nymph/wet hook
yellow thread
black chantelle

Picture kinda blurry. Not much to see anyway.

Last edited by whitefeather; 04-10-2011 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: PS
Old 04-11-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefeather View Post
Thanks Guys! I think I might get addicted to this after all! It stimulates my imagination!
Good job with the creativity! The nail-beetles are a crafty idea. One thing that helps me when coming up with new patterns is have a 'float glass'. Actually, a rectangular-glass flower vase does very well for checking the attitude of flies in water. Fill it up with water and sit you flies in it how you would fish them. This is one of the best ways to see them from underwater and see how they look to a fish. I have seen guys use shallow dishes too with mirrors on the bottom.