Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-08-2011, 10:15 AM

Post 2010 Hibb's Island-Dike Repair [Article]

I was cleaning up my PC today and came across a TVA Articled detailing the 2010 Hibb's Island-Dike Repair (Weir Dam). I do not think anyone posted this before(?). So; I figured I would share for those interested. I think TVA did an excellent job on this repair and I remember there being minimal impact on the fishing and ecosystem.

CITE: InsideTVA_Aug2010

Quote:
Dike Repaired
on Hibbs Island

BY BROOKS CLARK

Rock and clay barrier will keep Clinch River water downstream from Norris Dam flowing over weir dams.

For 26 years, the dike on Hibbs Island — in the Clinch River about 2 miles south of Norris Dam — had done its job. When large amounts of water were released from the dam, the dike pushed the flow around the island and over the weir dams on either side. The weirs serve to gather the water in an upstream pool that ensures a steady release of 200 cubic feet per second when water is not being
released from the dam. The weirs also serve to increase the water’s dissolved-oxygen levels as it flows through auto-venting turbines.

Over time, heavy flows from Norris had washed away
portions of the dike, which meant the water flowed through the island and not over the weirs.

So during the last week in May a crew of contractors led by project manager Chuck Parkins, River Operations, and foreman Jeff Northern started moving bargeloads of large equipment, rocks and clay to build the dike back up.

After digging a 2-foot-deep trench, workers rebuilt a
75-foot section of the dike with layers of rock and clay to a height of about 4 feet. In all, it took 20 tons of clay and 175 tons of 8-to-12-inch stone.

“We measure project success on safety, quality, schedule
and budget,” says Parkins. “In every area this was a
successful project.”

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 04-08-2011 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: Added pictures from the article...
Old 04-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Shawn,

These guys had the dream job I never could obtain. Thanks for posting this success story.

I've just got to get down to the Clinch sometime soon!

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather