Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-11-2011, 11:12 AM

Default Best Weekend ever on the Clinch

Well as some of you all have read, I asked the question what age do you put a fly rod in a kids hand? i ordered my son his first pair of waders last week and he could not wait to try them out this weekend.

Sat.
7 am rolls around, I go in to Elis bed room and wake him from a sound sleep. " Are you ready to go to the river and try out your new waders". He springs out of bed like there was a snake in the bed. So, we are off, we pull into Millers Island where there is already a few cars. we wanted to get ready first, so I help him in his waders. Then I get dressed and start rigging rods up. As I am doing so Shawn Maddison pulls up and we stop for a nice chat, and Shawn was kind enough to take snap a shot of the two of us. I will share the picture as soon as I find the cord for the camra. After a couple of other fisherman clear out of a run I wanted to start in we head that way. As we pass Eli asked them, " any luck", they reply with "caught a couple." Eli, "what kind"? The two guys, "rainbows". Eli, "what color of rainbow"? we all share a laugh and smile beofre moving on to the run where I learned to fly fish. Once there trout are raising everywhere. Eli's, all excited saying "look daddy they are jumping everywhere". I asked if he knew what the little fly were, he looks up and says' Are they midges dad". Ha that made me so proud. I say," yes son they sure are". Now I had to help him with casting and setting the hook, but he was able to land all but one that were caught. First cast, fish on, he did a great job of landing a little 8" bow, couple of cast later, boom fish on, he fights it for a few and brings a nice 14" bow to hand. He wanted a picture with it , but droped the fish while I was going for the camra. So, a few more cast boom 3rd fish on which was a 10" bow. These fish must have been wearing the litttle guy down, because he says' " dad I need a drink". I tell him to get the water out of my pack, on my back., and he does. While I'm releasing the fish I hear plunk, I turn to see he has fell, I helped him up and he was wet, and said crying, daddy I'm so cold. So being Mr. Super dad, I gave him a piggy back ride back to the truck. And we called it a morning.

Part 2 later.

It brought so much joy and happiness to me, being able to take my son, to the same run where I learned years ago. I really don't think i have came down off of cloud nine yet. If you get a chance take a youngster you will never regret it. Thanks for reading tight lines and see you on the water.

Rodney.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:07 PM

Thumbs up

Rod,
I've never met you on the river that I know of, but would count it a pleasure. From the sound of this trip, it sounds as though the Lord has
blessed Eli with a great father. Something this world needs a lot more of.
Please continue in being a good example to all fathers, as I'm sure you will.

God bless you and Eli and many wonderful trips in the future.

Greg
Old 04-11-2011, 12:45 PM

That is great, thanks for sharing your story.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:53 PM

Priceless!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:35 PM

That's awesome, Rod!!! Glad you guys had a good time, and good on ya for knowing when to call it quits and keeping it fun.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:06 PM

What a special time...one both you and your son will recall over again many times...as my aunt has always told me "You are making memories"....I caught my first trout on Porter's Creek....by circumstance my son came to be named Porter....and while not for the creek I did introduce him to fly fishing on that same creek....such places will always occupy a special place in our hearts...good for you.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:16 PM

Talking

Rod --- great story and a priceless trip with your son! Believe me, neither of you will ever forget it!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 PM

Don't tell him all our secret fishing spots.

Him and andrew both are gonna be kicking our butts soon enough!

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 AM

Smile

Great Post. I can't wait till my twin boys are old enough to start fishing with me

I'm sure it joys you to see him get so excited about something you love so much yourself

How old is your boy?

Ans somehow I never answered your question about Big Laurel for bass fishing. Big Laurel runs into the French Broad 3-4 mile outside HotSprings. After you go over the bridge on Big Laurel there is a big parking Lot there. The trail follows the river the whole way so it's pretty easy access
Old 04-12-2011, 02:00 PM

GREAT story!

I've got a little one on the way and visions of days like you described have me super pumped.

Thanks for sharing.

Ryan