Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 04-11-2011, 10:03 PM

Default Fb 4-10

Decided to go over to the FB this weekend to look for stripes on the shoals since I can't fish the LP till its cleared by the EPA.
The new boat(restored) ran great in the river and was comfortable to fish from.
these are cell phone picts , so not great quality...

Didn't find any stripes mid river yet but did catch a new species for me on the fly.
I was hopping a near nuff crayfish off of gravel bars as I was drifting and thought I had a decent smallie on for a minute. It turned out to be a drum!

A first for me on the fly. They are certainly ugly fish, but tough fighters.
I hooked up with several smallies during the day on clousers and near nuffs

Toward the end of the day, I hooked up with what I thought was a large smallmouth from where it was and too my surprise and honestly dissapointment, it was another big drum on a clouser. It was a fat 17-18" fish.

Hoping to find the stripes next week along with some more smallies. A couple more of these big drum would be welcome also.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:27 PM

Nice fish Gary! Those drum will sure surprise you...good luck on those stripers. I'm hoping to get back to catching those again this year myself...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-12-2011, 09:12 AM

Gary,
The boat looks great and you really splurged on an excellent motor! Good job and that thing will last you many years. Plus, it will hold its value for upgrades or changes. Great looking boat and you will be very pleased with your setup and its versatility.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-12-2011, 09:40 AM

Last edited by Randy Ratliff; 01-27-2012 at 09:18 AM..
Old 04-12-2011, 10:03 AM

One of my favorite creeks down my way is loaded with drum. They are spooky but will take a crawfish if you get it in their feedling lane. They will definately put a bend in the rod.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:08 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Gary,
The boat looks great and you really splurged on an excellent motor! Good job and that thing will last you many years. Plus, it will hold its value for upgrades or changes. Great looking boat and you will be very pleased with your setup and its versatility.
Madison, I spent many months looking for a 10-15hp used motor in good shape, but after several trips to look at them both at dealers and some craigslist sellers, I decided to buy new. Mercury ran a special extended warranty promo on their 4 strokes and went from 3 to 5 years full coverage on the motor. now I've got a new motor and 5 years of protection. I purchase it from White Pine marine. Very good Christian people to deal with. I've not had good luck buying used motors in the past, and I'm no mechanic other than changing fluids and plugs. hopefully this motor will last a long time.
Randy, They are bringing Douglas up right now, so the FB is a good float if you want to come down sometime. I found a really nice area accessable only by boat that reminds me of the HP in places. 2-5 ft depths for about 5-6 football field lengths with grass and rocks. Should be some fine topwater smallie fishing there this summer.
GM Reeves, I used to catch small drum in the lake fishing for crappie under the lights but never any this size. Not sure if these are any good to eat, would think they would be on the same level as carp. tough, rubbery mouths hold the hook well also.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:31 PM

Nice Gary! Boat looks great and I second what you're saying on that motor. I've never bought a brand new one but every time I've needed service it has cost me big $ for a marine mechanic and it ususally takes way too long to get back (especially if the weather is pretty).
Old 04-13-2011, 09:22 AM

Nice report and nice smallies!!!!

Me and my fishing buddy was talking about floating the french this comming weekend. I would like to learn a little more about the river. I see there is a launch at the dam, and I know about the one at 7 islands, although I heard yesterday that they had taken that one out, is this true? If not how long of float is it from the dam to 7 islands? Can you make this in a drift boat? If it is to long of float how hard would it be to put in at 7 islands go down to the islands and row back up? Thanks in advance for the help!

Rod
Old 04-13-2011, 12:22 PM

The ramp at 7 islands is open. I'm not sure what the float times would be from one point to another because I usually put in either in my canoe or boat and go upriver and float back. I have paddled as much as 3 miles upriver in the mornings and fished back. I take my time and fish short sections of the river at a time. I would think that from the dam to 7 islands would be a very long float on just oars to get through the long deep sections. A trolling motor would help.
I have paddled down to the islands from the WMA ramp in my canoe and back. you could do it in a drifter but it is a long row back upstream and if you fish below the shoals at the islands, it would be hard to get back up without a lot of dragging.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:20 PM

There's also a ramp under the 66 bridge. Dam to 66 would be a decent 4-5 mile float. From 66 to 7 Islands is 15+ miles- not doable in a drift boat unless you row downstream the whole time. I usually run through about half of it with my jonboat. Watch the generation schedule, too- I've never caught a fish with much water running, and you'll get blasted by your take-out. You will not be able to paddle up during heavy generation, so don't get caught below your take-out.