Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-14-2011, 07:40 AM

Default Cherokee Tailwater

Seems every time I look at the TVA flow data they are running too much water.

I have read over ALL the reports on Hugh Hartsell's web site and this seems to be an awesome place to fly fish on big water.

Any ideas as to when it will be fishable?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:18 AM

It seems most of the tailwaters are still running a steady flow during the week. Check out TVA's Recreational Schedules for a better idea when you may have a fishing window. These schedules are pretty solid; unless there has been an abnormal amount of rain or lack of...I have the Norris Schedule printed and noted on my wall for reference. Just change the reservoir to Cherokee.

http://www.tva.gov/river/recreation/sched_norris.htm
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-14-2011, 09:45 AM

Default Holston Tailwater Schedule and Reports

Corbo,
For the time being I am giving some advise about what parts of the river will be fishable and how long you can fish until this heavy generation schedule gets calmed down some. Just look at the section above the video in the top Report. I will try to change it every day. It's been a tough year to get onto the water. Thanks for reading the website.
Hugh
Old 04-15-2011, 01:02 AM

Thank you for creating it Hugh.... I've been reading it for a long time now and hope to meet you some day. I also enjoy looking at your fly patterns and may whip of some of those TN Wulffs.

Seems that The Cherokee tailwater is a decent caddis river; in Maine these were an evening hatch that lasted till midnight. Hope they are a day time hatch here.... I'm get too old to fish long after dark.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Thank you for creating it Hugh.... I've been reading it for a long time now and hope to meet you some day. I also enjoy looking at your fly patterns and may whip of some of those TN Wulffs.

Seems that The Cherokee tailwater is a decent caddis river; in Maine these were an evening hatch that lasted till midnight. Hope they are a day time hatch here.... I'm get too old to fish long after dark.
Corbo, Hugh Hartsell has some of the best patterns I have found on the web. Plus, he seems to always try and help people in his posts and at the clinics. I hope to schedule a drift with him this year if I can pry myself away from the Clinch.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:58 PM

I looked at the "recreational flow" schedule and the "yellow" days indicate minimal flow until 10 AM..... then what? The other color don't seem to be fishable either so what makes these "recreational?

I am so confused!!!!

Up in Maine most dams operated in a "run of river mode" essentially a gallon into an impoundment was a gallon out the turbine.... the utility operators would post the total CFS flow and you knew if it was wadable.

I look at the generation schedules and these seem more accurate as to conditions on the day you plan to fish but so far their schedule and my schedule have not worked out so well.

Been trying to sell my inboard Tracker Jetboat but maybe I ought to hang onto it if I'm going to fish the Clinch!

I fish with a buddy in a small outboard jet at Peach Orchard in December on a snowy day following a lot of rain and I saw no rising fish or insect activity at all but I know there are monsters there as he fished New Years eve and they landed a nine pound brown (released it)! So I guess I ought to fish from a boat and just throw big streamers from the Peach Orchard landing down to the bend where the railroad is on the west bank?

****ation; I do my best work in wading boots.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:02 AM

Corbo,
The TVA Recreational Schedule is a bit confusing. However; it does give you a fairly probable idea of what the release schedule will be on those dates. Additionally, there are usually 1 generator pulses for 1 hour that occur before the 10am time-line. These are usually ran from 6am-7am or 7am-8am.

If we have a dry spring and summer; the actual release schedules will be different than the projected recreational schedules from TVA.

It all depends on water levels in the lakes and power demand + the ability to meet power demand.

*I would definitely keep that jet boat. I sure wished I had one.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:07 AM

Well Shawn on the Jetboat it seems nobody is much interested. I don't want to sell it but could use the cash to market my new business. Oh well some other opportunities will be increasing my cash flow and it looks like I will keep it!

It's pretty heavy as it's a tracker and the only TN trout river I think I can reliably run it on is the Clinch as I've been there with a friend at the peach Orchard. Except for the top end below Cherokee I don't think it would be much use on the Holston.

Perhaps we can launch at the Orchard some time in the next couple months?

I'm also a striper junkie of the worst order and want to try catching them below Loudon or Melton Hill... ever cast a 12 weight?