Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-15-2011, 09:49 PM

In reality we should be a society that can have a resource which we can not deplete, afterall we aren't unfamiliar with how to properly manage things so they can sustain themselves.

It is a sad testament to this country, and this state if we have to depend on any govt to keep things like this going. That we can't regulate ourselves, and have a viable fishery without the aid of the govt.

As I said earlier, if folks viewed the trout in our rivers as recreation and enjoyed them for that, rather then using the river as a grocery store then hatcheries would be useless.

Maybe if TWRA actually invested money in worthwhile projects, rather then blowing it on Elk, and other things which are pointless there could be more resources to spend on fish stockings.

It is past time for the people in this country to realize the govt is not the answer. That goes for healthcare, retirement, and income.

It's called personal responsibility, we all would be better off if we practiced more of it.

Honestly, it may be a good thing for this to happen. Maybe when the rivers are fished out the "shoppers" will realize how selfish they have been, and mature.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:33 AM

History would suggest we do not manage our resources properly. Without stirring up the argument as to whether the Clinch has a reproducing population of trout, virtually all the tailwaters and streams do not until you get to the mountains of east TN. Seems to me those who like to fish for trout are going to put a lot of pressure on those wild streams if there are no other places to fish. I'm thinking the hatcheries pay for themselves, but may be wrong.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:11 AM

"If this is the case the TWRA needs to change the creel limit to 2 fish per day and raise the $180 ticket to public hanging."

Sell tickets to the public hanging like they did in the old days. Make a fortune.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:54 AM

The fewer the fish, the bigger the fish.

4X
Old 04-16-2011, 12:09 PM

Without natural reproduction, in a few years you have no fish.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:24 PM

Some very good points by a number of folks here on the forum. And Waterwolf is correct! The federal government has gotten its dirty little hands into too many things. And what happens when it does? Well, whatever their hands are into, in the end it gets totally screwed up and goes belly up financially. Historical fact.

And if one department of government doesn't do it, along comes another one that will. Need I make a list? No, the word "everything" should describe it.

This might be a good time to let the feds bail and then lock the **** door behind them. Don't ever let them back in. And that is going to take monumental pressure from Tennessee folks on their legislatures to make it happen. And creative ideas to take up the slack in the way of stocking facilities. Then file a federal lawsuit demanding the mitigation money for the loss of your rivers to TVA lakes that they agreed to pay. Follow that up with a state moratorium on collecting Pittman-Robinson funds for the feds.

It's the same everywhere, every state is or is **** close to being broke.

Anytime you let the thieves run away with your money, they will. And that's what the legislatures in most states are, a bunch of thieves that only know how to spend, spend, spend, everybody else's hard earned money yet offer no long term solutions that enhance your personal freedoms and your worth or your job opportunities.

And by the way, in Indiana our governor and his crew have even learned how to steal the Pittman-Robinson funds also. Among other things.

The first $120 I spend in Tennessee next week will be for fishing licenses and permits for the Tellico-Citico areas, as a non-resident. And I sure don't eat $120 worth of trout while I am there! LOL! I don't generally even fish in the stocked areas. So I guess I better take home what I can, if I'm lucky.

But I enjoy Tennessee and the hospitality of its people, so that's just the way it is and to me it's worth it.

All the solutions to the problems we face as Americans, Tennesseans, Hoosiers, Ohioians, Kentuckians, Virginians, and North Carolinians and everywhere else, require some radical thinking and radical solutions to the problems, because the normal solutions that have already been tried have failed. It's just stupid to keep applying the same fixes that haven't worked before.

If you were fishing on a stream that suffered a total fish kill and didn't catch any fish, would you continue to tie on different flies hoping your luck would change?

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 04-16-2011, 06:33 PM

Wow that was pretty deep thinkin there whitefeather.

What I don't understand is why in the sam **** is it a fed controled hatchrey anyways? I wish the state of Tennessee would take over it. After all our rivers and parkks tend to draw in. A lot of out of state folks. Why this wouldn't be viewed as a way of revinue I don't know? You can't tell me it takes that much money for a hatchrey.
Also why I'm on the subject of things why not start charging folks to visit the park. Why close it down, again so much revinue would be lost! If they charged 5 or 10 bucks are car that would help cover the cost of running it, plus the state and small bess would profit from it unsted of loosing money!

I have always felt that the federal goverment doesn't give a crap about nothing but making the rich richer and the pooer pooer! It's time for the American people to wake up and reclaim this great nation!
That's all I'm done!
Rod
Old 04-16-2011, 09:18 PM

Our Federal Government was never meant to become the monster it is today; that's for certain.

I would love to see TN leave the Union.... and I bet a lot of folks here feel the same. Our Federal Government only worries about their own bloated paychecks and pensions and benefits.... we should all live so high on the hog.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:24 PM

Rod,

You nailed it!

The promise of the feds never to charge a entrance fee to GSMNP is one of the few promises that has been kept...for now, anyway.

I love Tennessee. You guys have a quality stocking program, in many, many places. It'd be a shame...no, a crime if you were forced to give it up because the US Fish and Wildlife Department is having a hissy fit over other departments not paying their fair share.

Please don't let them get away with this!

Organize and fight it! Take over your hatcheries at the state level or even outsource them on contract to private enterprise. Elect proactive sportsman representatives from amoungst your own ranks to promote your own economy, fishing and outdoor recreation.

Let them (USFWS) take proper legal action to resolve the problem and not a cop out way of withholding money they TOOK from you in the first place in taxes, to make everybody else suffer on down the line by having to give up things like hatcheries.

These people know this. They are just are bunch of vindictive a$$XXes. They think they are entitled to steal your money (taxes) and tell you they will share it back with you, if you're lucky. For every ten cents the feds spend, your children and grandchildren will pay back $100.

Government never created a **** thing nor earned anything either, except the spite of the common man.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 04-16-2011, 09:29 PM

Just a side thought, but with proper management the clinch could more then likely sustain itself. However, it would take a massive shift in regulations, and a complete clean out of the anderson county human gene pool to be
successful.

I say the state should manage our hatcheries, and sell a trout harvest license. This license should cost enough to support the hatcheries, and the funds solely used for those purposes.

Here's another thought, stop stocking catchable sized fish, they are more expensive to raise. Stop stocking sub par rivers/streams as put and take. Raise only fingerlings, and only stock them in waters which can support trout year round with no exceptions.

Seems simple enough to solve if you ask me.