Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-21-2011, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the source Jon. I got same info yesterday through FFF. This is going to hurt here in KY.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:55 AM

I agree that fish stocking should not be another Federal entitlement program BUT we all do pay Federal excise tax on everything we purchase that is fishing related.

People who visit our National Parks pay nothing.... totally subsidized, same with National forests.

Sportsmen are the only outdoor recreationalists (word?) that are taxed in this fashion.... there ain't no tax on golf equipment or anything else yet many towns/cities get Federal money to upgrade municipal golf courses.

We Pay to Play
Old 04-22-2011, 08:45 AM

Why do I pay $85 for a nonresident fishing liscence with trout if TWRA doesn't fund and support the stocking of the rivers?

Scott
Old 04-22-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
I agree that fish stocking should not be another Federal entitlement program BUT we all do pay Federal excise tax on everything we purchase that is fishing related.

People who visit our National Parks pay nothing.... totally subsidized, same with National forests.

Sportsmen are the only outdoor recreationalists (word?) that are taxed in this fashion.... there ain't no tax on golf equipment or anything else yet many towns/cities get Federal money to upgrade municipal golf courses.

We Pay to Play

There are green fees and cart fees for golf...they do pay.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:05 PM

The TWRA does stock our rivers, lakes and streams and that is why we pay for a trout stamp and license.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:15 AM

Default Note from a TWRA official

This is too important an issue to ignore. This note below if from a state TWRA official and a friend of mine from another website.

Maybe a few phone calls to TWRA can help with this.

Phil-Nothing is set in stone at this point, but it isn't looking good. When I asked the question to Frank Fiss the other day he told me that he was not as optimistic as he had been earlier on the situation. He or Fisheries Chief Bobby Wilson would be the best source of info on the situation (615) 781-6575 M-F.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:41 AM

You know, I could make arguments for both sides on this issue. While I'm not personally in favor of my federal tax dollars going to fund recreational opportunities for special interest groups (of which we are one), there is the responsibility of TVA and USACE to offset the damage caused by their dams to the local ecosystem. (We'll just ignore the overall positive economic benefit those dams have brought to the region for the purpose of this discussion). On the other hand, if the economic impact of the hatcheries is on the order of $75 made for every $1 spent, who's making that money? The local businesses in the communities surrounding the hatchery supported waters, and the local governments who collect sales and property taxes from those businesses, that's who. Right now, those folks are riding the gravy train being paid for by our federal tax dollars. Those are the folks who will lose if the feds pull their funding and the hatcheries have to shut down, therefore those are the folks who should be picking up the cost of operating the hatcheries. That's how a capitalist system is supposed to work.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stana Claus View Post
You know, I could make arguments for both sides on this issue. While I'm not personally in favor of my federal tax dollars going to fund recreational opportunities for special interest groups (of which we are one), there is the responsibility of TVA and USACE to offset the damage caused by their dams to the local ecosystem. (We'll just ignore the overall positive economic benefit those dams have brought to the region for the purpose of this discussion). On the other hand, if the economic impact of the hatcheries is on the order of $75 made for every $1 spent, who's making that money? The local businesses in the communities surrounding the hatchery supported waters, and the local governments who collect sales and property taxes from those businesses, that's who. Right now, those folks are riding the gravy train being paid for by our federal tax dollars. Those are the folks who will lose if the feds pull their funding and the hatcheries have to shut down, therefore those are the folks who should be picking up the cost of operating the hatcheries. That's how a capitalist system is supposed to work.
TVA receives zero dollars from the feds. All of their revenue comes from power generation and other revenue generating activities they perform. Or so I have been told.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:39 AM

Even if that's so, how is the money TVA is supposedly paying for ecosystem remediation making its way to the federally supported hatcheries? My point is, whoever benefits from the output of the hatcheries should be who is paying for that facility. And that's not just the trout fisherfolk, that includes the local hotels, restaurants, gas stations, convenience stores, etc. in those places where the trout are stocked (where those fisherfolk spend their money), as well as the local governments who collect tax revenue on all that money being spent. If the fisheries go away and the fisherfolk with them, I dare say those are the folks who will suffer for it. And, to keep the local schools funded, roads paved (maybe) and other things that rely on the local taxes up and running, property taxes and other local taxes will have to be raised to compensate for the lost revenues. Therefore, it would be in the locals best interests to support the hatcheries themselves to keep those tourist dollars (outside money) flowing into the local area.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

I sure hope that some of the 60.00 that I paid for a trout plate goes to some good this is sad news.