Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-24-2011, 04:23 PM

You could be right Santa. It may be a good opportunity for private waters where the people bearing the costs of stocking the water profit from doing so. Lots of small streams in TN are stocked with the landowner permisson to allow fishermen on the land. These could be privately stocked and be pay to fish. A few spots like that in TN now. Not having to compete with public waters might make it more feasible.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:50 PM

So Waterwolf the ONLY tailwater that you want to be able to fish and be guaranteed to catch fish is the S. Holston (the only self sustaining tailwater of trout, albeit a few rumors here and there of the Clinch) IF this passes and we loose most of our hatchery fish?

TWRA should on this news alone cancel "free fishing Saturday" on any trout stream, and cancel putting trout in the World's Fair pond, as well as the little lake/pond in Campbell county, and whereever else they give away the fish to the masses for promotions that are bought and paid for from license holders in this state.

Last edited by Flat Fly n; 04-25-2011 at 05:43 PM..
Old 04-25-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
So Waterwolf the ONLY tailwater that you want to be able to fish and be guaranteed to catch fish is the S. Holston (the only self sustaining tailwater of trout, albeit a few rumors here and there of the Clinch) IF this passes and we loose most of our hatchery fish?

TWRA should on this news alone cancel "free fishing Saturday" on any trout stream, and cancel putting trout in the World's Fair pond, as well as the little lake/pond in Campbell county, and whereever else they give away the fish to the masses for promotions that are bought and paid for from license holders in this state.
I disagree, it would take a massive regulation change, and a massive amount of enforcement, but the Clinch I believe could sustain itself. Not with the level of harvest it receives now, but with a very low limit or even C&R it could survive.

Holston would be gone for sure, and most of the other sub par creeks or ditches that TWRA wastes money on as well. Holston is fine now, but if this comes to fruition I think it has to be let go.

Why did TWRA stock the Big Pigeon again this year knowing that every trout has died by Memorial Day the past 2 years? They love wasting our money on idiotic things, period.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 AM

Looks like the 6 of the 8 fish hatcheries will be southern. Greers Ferry (AR), Norfork (AR), Chattahoochee Forest (GA), Wolf Creek (KY), Erwin (TN) and Dale Hollow (TN). This could be devastating to fishing in the south particularly those of us who have enjoyed tailwater fishing in TN, KY and Arkansas. The amount of money saved by closing these will pale in comparison to the amount lost in revenue in areas like the White River in Arkansas and around our many TVA lakes. I guess it's time to buy a jet ski.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:51 PM

I'd like 80% of the fly fishermen out there to buy jet ski's. That would be really helpful to the fishing!

I think we should stop right now and write our Congresscritters and let them know that we'd rather they cut defense or research or infrastructure funding instead of the really important things like raising pellet fed trout.

You guys realize that what you're talking about is sustaining an artificial fishery in a time of severe economic crisis? right?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl View Post

You guys realize that what you're talking about is sustaining an artificial fishery in a time of severe economic crisis? right?
I'm not, the feds have no business spending money on hatcheries. Just the same as they have no business spending money on healthcare, stupid pet projects, foreign aide, or the majority of other BS they deem "worthy" of our tax dollars. How much money is blow every year on the horrid department of education?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:34 AM

I'm wondering what the impact of this will be on the sale of trout stamps. Why would a person buy a trout stamp if they have drive four or five hours to benefit from it? Heck, if I have to drive that far, I'd just as soon go on to the Smoky's where I only need a fishing license and do not have to plan my fishing around the generation schedules.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:05 AM

The loss of the hatcheries will have a considerable detrimental economic impact on the local communities. It doesn't make sense, particularly when the overall budget of the department is not being cut and for each dollar spent there is a huge economic return. From an economic standpoint, it is one of the most productive uses of government funds.

Yes, it is a government subsidy. But, the government subsidizes so many things, including oil companies, education, farmers, alternative fuels, NPR, etc. Why cut the one that gives one of the hightest benefits from an economic standpoint?

Personally, I would rather save lives and money by bringing the troops home from Afghanistan. Osama is now dead and we should not be spending taxpayer dollars in defending people throughout the world, (including 4 billion in foreign aid to Pakistan) that hate us.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:38 AM

Well said MBB. I believe its one of those programs that for every dollar put in they make several in tax revenue. Look at the economies around the Arkansas tailwaters for proof of that. Although I suspect after this springs floods, they will be hurting.

I agree that the Federal Government as gotten out of hand. And that fish hatcheries should be maintained by the states that benefit from them. Heck let's get rid of Forest Service and NPS and the US Fish and Wildlife departments while we are at it. Let's let private industries manage the lands more than they already do. Let's put all those nice refuges, national parks and forests up for sale. (The last part of this statement is tongue in cheek)

Anyways, the pink elephant in the room is entitlements. We will never balance our budget nor get out of our debt until entitlements are reformed. Good luck finding politicians that will tackle that. Cause it ain't gonna be easy.

Last edited by br549; 05-04-2011 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: grammer
Old 05-04-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBB View Post
The loss of the hatcheries will have a considerable detrimental economic impact on the local communities. It doesn't make sense, particularly when the overall budget of the department is not being cut and for each dollar spent there is a huge economic return. From an economic standpoint, it is one of the most productive uses of government funds.

Yes, it is a government subsidy. But, the government subsidizes so many things, including oil companies, education, farmers, alternative fuels, NPR, etc. Why cut the one that gives one of the hightest benefits from an economic standpoint?

Personally, I would rather save lives and money by bringing the troops home from Afghanistan. Osama is now dead and we should not be spending taxpayer dollars in defending people throughout the world, (including 4 billion in foreign aid to Pakistan) that hate us.
Couldn't have said it better myself my friend. A voice of reason in this sea of insanity. All this bs about needing to be in every god forsaken country in the world is nothing but a smokescreen for the political/military apparatus. At the same time as many people in this country can't afford simple health care. Recent survey in Egypt, about 16% favors us, and we spend roughly 2 billion dollars on Egypt a year, mostly military equipment, Anyone see the connection here? Don't even get me started on Israel. When is this country going to realize that the rest of the world need our market and we don't need to be over there. Take home our troops, defend our own borders and take care of our own people and enforce existing laws. BTW, I'm an American citizen and I came here legally.