Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 04-24-2011, 08:40 AM

Default Cougar

Keep it civil folks. Paula is watching. Saw this on the national news and couldn't resist posting. In Tulsa, Oklahoma a mountain lion was tranquilized and captured this weekend. Probably an escaped pet I thought, so I looked it up on the web for more info. Found a couple of related stories. In Jan, 2010 a hunter capture 5 photos of a cougar from his hunting trail cam. In 9/2006 a game warden in Oklahoma shot a cougar attacking livestock. Makes you wonder about what may be in these eastern mountains.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:15 PM

I am not in on either side here because I don't get to the smokies near as much as many of you. I was there the beginning of April and went into a hiking "outfitters" store in Gburg and was surprised to see a poster up saying to contact someone if you saw a cougar or tracks.

It showed what the cougar tracks would look like and showed what they looked like compared to coyote tracks.

Just found it a little weird.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Last edited by cardfly; 04-25-2011 at 11:52 AM..
Old 04-24-2011, 06:06 PM

Not trying to flame you silvercreek, you are a quality member of the forum, but if you're worried about it staying civil, maybe it's best not to bring it up These OT posts "go south" more often then not.

Respectfully,

Neal
Old 04-26-2011, 10:06 AM

Well, off topic or not, that was a timely post, SilverCreek. Heard this on NPR yesterday on my drive home...

Endangered Cougars Could Be Making a Comeback
Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 AM

"Federal scientists say mountain lions are extinct in the East. But sightings of the big cats continue, and some researchers say cougars could be staging a comeback."

I personally don't think they are in the smokies right now but in reality it's probably only a matter of time.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 04-26-2011, 02:40 PM

I have been told that there are no puma in Eastern KY but the dead (or very asleep) one on the side of KY 80 had not gotten that word. I stopped and only looked out windshield and window but did not get out of car. The creature was larger than a bobcat had puma like legs and head and tail.

I asked folks after I delivered my presentation if the big cats were back and was told that yes there were but that was not what officials would say. I told them about what I saw and one guy asked if I put the puma in the car. I replied that with my luck it would only be stunned and it would likely come to in the car of my car like on those U-tube videos. Since this was close to the Cumberland Gap I would think it would not be too unusual.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 PM

Silver Creek is the most awesome creek in the West, but ya didn't hear it here

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 04-27-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamhound View Post
I have been told that there are no puma in Eastern KY but the dead (or very asleep) one on the side of KY 80 had not gotten that word. I stopped and only looked out windshield and window but did not get out of car. The creature was larger than a bobcat had puma like legs and head and tail.

I asked folks after I delivered my presentation if the big cats were back and was told that yes there were but that was not what officials would say. I told them about what I saw and one guy asked if I put the puma in the car. I replied that with my luck it would only be stunned and it would likely come to in the car of my car like on those U-tube videos. Since this was close to the Cumberland Gap I would think it would not be too unusual.
DUDE! Did you at least snap photos with your phone?

I think it's possible that the "Eastern Mountain Lion" is extinct and that the ones being seen are other varieties that have either migrated here or been released. Some research has shown that western mountain lions are genetically identical to eastern cats, but when they introduced western cats into the Florida population the act of deepening the gene pool helped that population. Maybe because they were different species, or maybe just because the population had grown so small they were majorly inbred. Bottom line: there are mountain lions east of the Mississippi.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:04 PM

Sad thing is I didn't think to take a picture with the phone. Until I read Carlito's post I still had not thought I should have done that. Guess I am still stuck in the a phone is a phone and a camera is a camera mentality.

Given the number of folks who in the Cumberland Gap up to Prestonsburg area have had sightings, heard them etc I didn't realize it was a big deal.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:38 PM

here in Kentucky the mountain lion rumors are always prevalent. The only Mt. Lion ever found dead in the state was a kitten that was DNA'd. Here is the report: http://books.google.com/books?id=G6P...cougar&f=false

All of these reports about eastern Kentucky mountain lions yet there has been zero photos, zero trail cam photos and the one cub that was evidently a released pet. There is not one shred of credible evidence.

All that being said, a population of them would be able to exist in that end of the state with all of the undeveloped land and an elk herd of 10,000 or so.