Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 04-27-2011, 09:50 PM

Now I guess I see why folks wanted the body. One dead puma does not mean there is breeding population for all I know it could have been a pet that was turned out when it got too big or too expensive to feed.

I am figuring that I don't need to worry about puma and I'll just keep an eye out for snakes
Old 04-28-2011, 12:15 AM

Streamhound, I hope you didn't think I was calling you out on this or anything, I didn't mean it that way. I just find it hard to believe with as many trail cameras as people put in the woods now and the cell phone cameras that there are no photos. Another thing that would convince me a little more that that there are a few reclusive big cats is nobody ever finds them dead anywhere.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
nobody ever finds them dead anywhere.
You don't find much dead anything as nature has a way of swiftly disposing of such things. I probably haven't spent as much time in the woods as many of you but the only thing I can remember are tortoise shells; the rest of the critter was gone. Peter Hathaway Capstick in one of his books on African hunting marveled at how quickly large animal carcasses disappeared.
I feel this is why we don't find any bigfoot remains.
It would be interesting to show proof of a living puma here in the east.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:03 PM

Yeah maybe the proof of mountain lions existing in the east is controversial. Their are always two sides of how evidence is viewed. Just look at the wealth of viewpoints on wether or not Bigfoot exists. Some say there is not enough(or any) technological evidence (i.e. film). Then again, maybe we aren't as smart or as advanced as we think we are. Maybe these beasts we debate are simply eluding what we consider evidence of their existance. Smarter than we think.......? Personally I will continue to read and respect all posts and opinions on this subject. What I really want though is to be the next extremely lucky person who gets to actually see one of these cats in the wild!

Lee
Old 04-29-2011, 10:06 AM

NO Offense KyTim.
Like I said I didn't realize this was a heated discussion. and with no real proof otherwise I think it could have been a pet or guard-cat. Saw something on animal planet last nite that talked about big cats being kept in rural locations and these cats were not indigenous to the areas.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:17 PM

Before I got married they used to trap me on occasion. Good times.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 05-02-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
Before I got married they used to trap me on occasion. Good times.
LoL Nice. Nuthin' like a good cougar mauling.

Seriously though, I've spent LOTS of time in the woods fishing, hunting, and camping, and I've never once seen a bobcat. I know they exist and they are actually quite common, but in the hundreds (thousands maybe?) of hours I've spent in the woods, not once have I glimpsed one. I was actually talking to my dad about that Saturday when we were hanging out at the hunt camp (trying to catch a gobbler). He grew up hunting as a primary means of providing meat for the family, has been on countless trips over the 60 years since he's been old enough to hunt, and has only ever seen 1 bobcat.

Now, I realize that bobcats are mostly nocturnal hunters, but my question is this: if an animal as common as the bobcat can be so reclusive, is it really surprising that an animal like the mountain lion (that is even smarter) would be a rare sight? I do think it's likely that wild cougars are extinct in the east. I don't think it's likely that there aren't any mountain lions running around in these hills.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:00 PM

Well, offically there were no cougars in Georgia, until a hunter ran into this down in Troupe county, southeast of Atlanta, a couple of years ago:

DNA showed it to be a wild Florida cougar.

Too bad it's not still out roaming the woods.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:56 PM

If some of you folks actualy want to see a cougar, on the ground, in the woods of the Smokies, I dare say you won't unless you're extremely fortunate. They are cats and cats are night hunters. Cougars are the largest of the "domestic" cat family. They snooze during the day on high rock outcroppings or tall, large limbed trees, such as oaks.

One sure sign of their presence, even if not seen, is the carcasses of deer that they pull up into tall mature trees to eat and store away from other predator scavengers such as bear and coyote. They are the only mammal in the woods that can do this! Also look for buzzards swarming around and landing in a tall oak tree.

This was documented in the GSMNP by one of the outgoing park superintendents a few years back. They are there. Only the numbers remain to be determined, but there's no budget for it.

When you are in the woods, L@@K UP! Scan the tree line. That's where you'll get your best opportunity to see one. But he'll see you way before you see him and remain motionless and quiet till you're gone.

And you may be startled at how close they can get to you without you even knowing it.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 05-05-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
LoL Nice. Nuthin' like a good cougar mauling.

Seriously though, I've spent LOTS of time in the woods fishing, hunting, and camping, and I've never once seen a bobcat. I know they exist and they are actually quite common, but in the hundreds (thousands maybe?) of hours I've spent in the woods, not once have I glimpsed one. I was actually talking to my dad about that Saturday when we were hanging out at the hunt camp (trying to catch a gobbler). He grew up hunting as a primary means of providing meat for the family, has been on countless trips over the 60 years since he's been old enough to hunt, and has only ever seen 1 bobcat.

Now, I realize that bobcats are mostly nocturnal hunters, but my question is this: if an animal as common as the bobcat can be so reclusive, is it really surprising that an animal like the mountain lion (that is even smarter) would be a rare sight? I do think it's likely that wild cougars are extinct in the east. I don't think it's likely that there aren't any mountain lions running around in these hills.
Carlito you bring up a good point and one I have thought of as well. I have spent the majority of my 44 years in the woods and on the water. In that time I have seen exactly two bobcats. One when I was a teenager back in the 1980'as that walked under a treestand I was in at Ft. Knox, and the other was just last April on Dale Hollow Lake.

All that being said, I have a ton of friends that hunt and most of them run trail cameras on their property throughout the year, as may as five or six different cameras. On these cameras, it is not unusual for them to get photos of bobcats. It is not suprising to anyone because there are several bobcats around. That being said, I have yet to see one photo of a Mt. Lion on any trail cam photos from Kentucky.

Now everyone needs to understand, I am strictly talking about the state of Kentucky and not anywhere else.

Last edited by Ky Tim; 05-22-2011 at 02:23 PM..