Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 05-02-2011, 01:17 AM

Default Shame, shame...

...on those who would intentially target Smallmouth bass on beds! It has been mentioned that the bass are on the spawn and likely to be found in shallow water on bed. How sportsmanlike is it to unnecessarily stress these fish for mere bragging rights? Any fly angler with any class at all wouldn't dare work over wild trout during the spawning season; why should it be any different for the smallies? In my opinion, folks in general just don't give the smallmouth, or his fishery the respect he deserves!

aa
2Timothy2:15

Last edited by appalachian angler; 05-02-2011 at 11:02 AM..
Old 05-02-2011, 10:22 AM

Anyone ever shot a strutting Tom, or a rutting buck. As far as class goes there's no one I know of with more than Byron. He done more this morning for the sake of conservation than most of us have done in a year. Although I respect your side leave the name calling to eighth graders.
Respectfully, Lynn
Old 05-02-2011, 12:37 PM

Plain and simple- bass fishing is about big fish, and the spring is the most consistent time to catch big bass, especially in rivers. Not all of the fish spawn at once- the first wave moved in with the last full moon, and just this morning I saw several pairs in courtship routines. Would you have me not fish for 2-3 months so I don't accidently catch a spawning fish? Do you expect me to believe that fishing during the spawn hurts the fishery? Look at the Little Pigeon, for crying out loud!

PS- How is stabbing a hook into a fish's head and dragging it to the bank any less stressful the rest of the year? Flyfishermen can be some first-rate (insert your favorite curse word) when it comes to applying their "superior" ethics to everyone else.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:55 PM

No Hackle,
Good post and observation. A man I know recently told me he would stop feeding/baiting deer when fishing bait was outlawed and everyone was required to use artificials. Gotta love the message board for the insights and point of views expressed.

Lee
Old 05-03-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachian angler View Post
...on those who would intentially target Smallmouth bass on beds! It has been mentioned that the bass are on the spawn and likely to be found in shallow water on bed. How sportsmanlike is it to unnecessarily stress these fish for mere bragging rights? Any fly angler with any class at all wouldn't dare work over wild trout during the spawning season; why should it be any different for the smallies? In my opinion, folks in general just don't give the smallmouth, or his fishery the respect he deserves!

aa
Coming onto a message board and completely misrepresenting the owner about something in his fishing report? (Which he does for free, by the way.)

Wow, man. You put the a** in classy.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:08 AM

Mike T, Don't let one jerk make you form an opinion.I spin and flyfish, I do what allows me to catch fish under certain conditions. Heck I fish the way I want to fish. If it's legal of course. I've met plenty of jerks with both kinds of rods in their hands.
Lynn
Old 05-03-2011, 01:05 PM

I've followed this forum for a couple years now. The original post is not typical of most of AA's posts. Perhaps he was having a bad day or this is something that raised a passion in him.

The comments supporting Byron are also spot on. I would urge that everyone "stand down" on this one.

It probably should have been handled in private between AA and Byron and not on a public forum, I will grant that. However, given the other posts and contributions I've seen from him, I'd urge to give AA some slack.

AA, the only thing I would say is it's probably worth a call or email to Byron to clear the air on this one and take it out of the public forum.

Jeff
Old 05-03-2011, 04:17 PM

I agree with the stand down. But having a bad day does not constitute an outright attack. I believe that's what AA was looking for, well he got it.
Lynn
Old 05-03-2011, 04:31 PM

Byron, you have my sincerest appologies!

Folks,

Jeff is right, I was having a difficult night at work and the tone of my original post took a personal direction. The next day, I realized this, and the fact that it was necessary to post my convictions without getting personal, so I completely edited my post. While I appreciate folks defending a friend, I think perhaps some of you may have missed the context and point I was trying to make. My whole argument is that I am opposed to directly targetting fish that you can see are on bed. I personally don't even work the shallows when I know that fish are very likely to be protecting the nest. It is a personal conviction of mine. I feel certain that I am not the only one who peruses this board that feels that way. It is not about being elitist, it is rather about being a good sportsman and a good steward of a resource to me. Notice I said to me? The fish populations can probably support a few losses in the game, but why pressure the fish more than necessary? There are plenty of other fishing options in East Tennessee this time of year as you all know how blessed we are to live here. Think about it, if this topic had been shifted to brown trout on redd, you know alot of folks would get downright hateful towards folks boasting about the fish they caught in the "shallows". I have seen guides out there on the SoHo with clients with a drag line of lead and multiple weighted nymphs/eggs doing what I call Euro-snagging. This is no new thing. It makes me sick to see it and I know it does many of you. I hope that maybe we can have a well thought out discussion on the topic rather than a flaming arrow fest.

aa
2Timothy2:15
Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 PM

AA, It took a big man to do what you just did. I understand your position and admire you for being a stand up guy. Straight up, Byron is my friend and if I thought he was in the wrong I would call him on it too.
Lynn