Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Photography

Old 05-22-2011, 06:22 PM

Default help my point and shoot quit

I had a small little kodak point and shoot that i use to use and it has quit. I own a nice pentex dslr but it is not what you want to carry onto the streams. What are a few suggestions on new WATERPROOF point and shoot cameras that I might could pick up before coming up this week end? I remember a few years back alot of guys was using olympus, is that still the way to go?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:24 PM

I have a fugifilm XP-10 Waterproof digital camera. It isn't too expensive as far as cameras go and takes great pics. It has all sorts of settings you can use. It also has video if you want to shoot a video. The underwater picture it takes are good too.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:56 AM

I understand your situation; I have both a Pentax K-R and an older *ist DL and don't want to take either fishing.

I just recently picked up a Pentax Stylus Tough 3000. Newegg.com has them on sale for $99. Like most waterproof cameras, the pictures are not as sharp as even a good point and shoot, let alone a SLR with good glass. However for the longest time waterproof cameras hovered in the $200 to $300 range, so I picked up this Stylus tough as soon as I checked a few reviews.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10...ytough3000.asp
http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...lus+tough+3000

Not glowing reviews, but check the waterproof cameras 3x that price and they will be similar..

Newegg has nice fast shipping, so getting it for the weekend should not be a problem.

I would suggest getting some extra batteries as they are small and low capacity, though tests show the camera delivered its rated 160 shots. I opted to get 2 off-brand LI-42 "equivalent" batteries for around $2.50 each from an Amazon.com reseller. I would also recommend getting a separate charger as you have to charge the battery in the camera with a proprietary USB cable otherwise. The off brand charger ran me around $5, also bought from a Amazon.com reseller.

I had the camera out this weekend and was content with the picture quality..

-Matt-
Old 05-23-2011, 09:12 AM

I have an Olympus Stylus Tough #6020 that I got as a Xmas present, and it is a great camera for a "point & shoot." Takes great photos and is waterproof to a depth of 15 feet. I got it based upon a discussion of cameras last fall on this Forum for a waterproof camera.

You can make adjustments to the photo quality similar to a DSLR camera, or just turn it on and shoot.

Bill
Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 AM

I have a Pentax Optio W80 and it came with a separate charger. I'm happy with it. It has a macro that lets you go within a half an inch of the subject. The camera is about the size of a deck of cards. Silvercreek
Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 AM

I have the Olympus Stylus Tough and it is a mediocre camera. It is durable on the water; however, the picture and video quality are not the great due to the small optical lense-size. I would look for one that has a larger optical lense. I like the GoPro cameras for videoing.
YTB http://www.youtube.com/user/MadisonBoats?feature=mhee
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-23-2011, 10:55 AM

Like Silvercreek, I have a Pentax Optio series, but can't remember which one. Its been a good camera as far as point and shoot goes. Adjustable ISO, and the macro feature silvercreek spoke of works nicely. The only downside for me is that using the manual focus feature is kind of hard with one hand.

I've beat it up, dropped it on rocks, sent it tumbling downstream, and it still keeps taking good (enough) pictures. I think I've had it about 3 years and the battery still holds a good charge.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:57 PM

Thanks for all the imput guys. The olympus and the pentax is definately something I will look into.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:01 PM

I bought an Olympus Stylus 140 for about $110 at BestBuy a few years back, and now it is my 3-yr old's camera. It was that bad. Would not focus, highlights were always blown out, and allowed no manual control over any of the features.

I continue to carry my DSLR with me on the river, just in a waterproof carry bag. However, it does get heavy if I have anything other than my 50mm f/1.8 on it. Not such a big deal on the tailwaters, but the added 2 lbs from my upgraded glass is a lot when hiking in the mountains. So, I am also thinking about adding a P&S to my arsenal for such occasions.

I have narrowed my list to the two below for my replacement:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS10

Sony CyberShot DSC-TX10

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Last edited by ChemEAngler; 05-23-2011 at 09:20 PM..