Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 PM

Default Part 3. Tellico River and Other Places

Thursday, April 28

The next morning, my heart sank at the destruction that had befallen my neighbors nearby. A man from down the road came in and helped me pull the trees out of the way with his four-wheel drive and then he led us through a maze of damaged homes, farm buildings, power lines, and twisted wreckage on a back country road which put us out on the highway again and headed into Tellico Plains, where we heard more stories about the storm.

The rest of the day we spent cleaning up what we could and checking on the other cabins and facilities. Making lists of damage where we could find it. It never occurred to us that it wasn't our responsibility to do so. We did it because we wanted to, it just seemed like the neighborly thing to do.

No fishing. I didn't even feel like fishing. I felt like helping out as much as I could.

Friday, April 29

Ditto!

Saturday, April 30

Ditto until 2:00PM. Then I decided I needed to get away from the problems for a bit and I went up on the Tellico to fish. But my heart just wasn't in it. I really was going through the motions but the river was soothing and the scenery promising. Didn't catch a single fish. Had to throw out all our food in the refrigerator because it was spoiled, including the trout I had kept for our wild meal. Bummer!

Sunday, May 1

A new day, a new month, a new beginning, a new part of the river. Stan and I met again at the cafe, had a good breakfast, and proceeded back to the Citico wilderness, where we found a most exquisite stream of trout water.

As Stan said, it was what picture post cards are made of, it was that beautiful, and held some impressive size trout, which neither of us seemed to be able to bring to hand (not that it would have made a difference in my case 'cause I left my landing net back at the car) but that only serves as an invitation to go and try again, which I am sure, if the wind don't blow and the creeks don't rise, we will. Now that we know where to end up, we can avoid the trial and error and spend more time on the productive water.

Good luck Stan when you get there next. It will probably be before I do. Don't forget to email a picture of that beautiful place. My shot of it didn't come out good at all.

And thanks for sharing my adventure. I enjoyed it immensely!

Did I mention we were deep into bear territory?

Hello-o-o-o! Mr. Bear-r-r! Anybody home? Didn't see it right away. There to the right of the entrance. A small sign that read, Gone Fishin'

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 PM

Looks like you had a great trip. I really hate that I could not meet up with you.