Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-07-2011, 10:55 PM

Default Lost count.......

Made my first trip to the Hiwassee today. Finally had some wadeable water and, a day with not much wind. Hiked a good ways to get away from any crowds and had a very enjoyable day. Saw just a couple of others fishing, three kayakers and that was it. The biggest hatch I saw was midges. The caddis and mayflies I saw I could count on two hands I believe. The middle of the day was pretty cloudy and the fish fed all through the day. Parachute adams was the ticket. Never tied anything else on. Had a bunch of nice, slow deliberate rises. Then there were the explosive ones. The best one was the twelve inch rainbow that came up like a missile, taking the fly that hadn't drifted a foot as it came out, and made a perfect dive back down. One of those 'Kodak' moments that is burned into your memory. I saw a mature bald eagle heading up through the bend of the river. I have not seen one here before. Watched a lone drake mallard come up the river and as he passed, gave him a loud voice call. He liked it enough to set his wings and stick his feet straight down for a half circle back, before realizing that maybe he was hearing things. Late in the afternoon it seemed to slow down. A fun day on a beautiful river. Water temp was sixty three at 4:15. That seems a little warm right now.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:08 PM

The Hiwassee can be an extraordinary river. Glad you had a good day. My favorite time is the sulphur hatch. Go to http://www.hiwassee.net for info on the river, flies, hatches, etc.
Bald eagles can be seen on the river as well as ospreys and blue herons. Was fishing the river with a couple of friends a few years ago. We saw a blue heron stand motionless for several minutes. He dipped down, got a trout and flipped it up on the bank. He hopped out, picked up the fish and worked it around so he could swallow it headfirst. And some people watch that on TV. We got to see in happen first hand and unrehearsed.

Last edited by Knothead; 05-08-2011 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: add comment
Old 05-09-2011, 07:48 AM

Yeh, it's sad that a lot of folks only see that on TV. I didn't see any ospreys this time, that's what I usually see. Looked back at my post and meant to say that this was the first trip this year. no telling how many days I've waded or floated that river since the late seventies.