Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-08-2011, 07:05 PM
bigjim bigjim is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
Default Holston

I was wondering if anyone knew about how long the Caddis hatch lasts on the Holston?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Hugh Hartsell's Avatar
Hugh Hartsell Hugh Hartsell is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Morristown Tn.
Posts: 394
Default Caddis Hatch

Big Jim,
You will see the hatch dwindling down as this month progresses on the lower part of the river and it may last until June in the mid sections. Most of the Caddis are gone by July up close to the dam. You will probably see another smaller hatch begin in the month of November in the mid and upper sections. It is really going strong right now.
Hugh
__________________
Hugh Hartsell---East Tenn.
smokymountainflyguide.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-08-2011, 08:24 PM
pineman19 pineman19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greeneville, TN
Posts: 751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
I was wondering if anyone knew about how long the Caddis hatch lasts on the Holston?
Hello Jim,

It was nice meeting and talking with you today. A little hint, check out that top run out we were discussing today. Saw a very nice fish caught up there today.

Neal
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-08-2011, 08:28 PM
pineman19 pineman19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greeneville, TN
Posts: 751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Hartsell View Post
Big Jim,
You will see the hatch dwindling down as this month progresses on the lower part of the river and it may last until June in the mid sections. Most of the Caddis are gone by July up close to the dam. You will probably see another smaller hatch begin in the month of November in the mid and upper sections. It is really going strong right now.
Hugh
I agree Hugh, I have been hitting Nances Ferry hard the last two weekends and the caddis hatch has been great, hitting on top and subsurface. I figured it would be over soon, so I'm striking while the iron is hot. BTW, I did pretty well two weeks ago on the SOHO with your BWO emerger pattern I got from you around a month ago, the browns and bows wore one out, I need to get with you and order some flies for the upcoming sulfur hatches on the SOHO.

Neal
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Hugh Hartsell's Avatar
Hugh Hartsell Hugh Hartsell is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Morristown Tn.
Posts: 394
Default The Holston and hatches

Neal,
Thanks for the kind words and for trusting the flies. I have seen some great fish caught on the last 2-3 trips that I have made on the Holston. About 4 days ago the PMDs were hatching and the Sulfurs will be starting up "Big Time" there as well as the Caddis. Good Sulfur hatches should be starting right away on the South Holston as the water temps get to where they need to be. Be sure that you get the Tan Wulff and the Rockhold Sulfur Emerger to take with you to either river when this hatch gets under way. It's good to hear that many people are getting out now and some great fishing is taking place.
Hugh
__________________
Hugh Hartsell---East Tenn.
smokymountainflyguide.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-08-2011, 09:00 PM
pineman19 pineman19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greeneville, TN
Posts: 751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Hartsell View Post
Neal,
Thanks for the kind words and for trusting the flies. I have seen some great fish caught on the last 2-3 trips that I have made on the Holston. About 4 days ago the PMDs were hatching and the Sulfurs will be starting up "Big Time" there as well as the Caddis. Good Sulfur hatches should be starting right away on the South Holston as the water temps get to where they need to be. Be sure that you get the Tan Wulff and the Rockhold Sulfur Emerger to take with you to either river when this hatch gets under way. It's good to hear that many people are getting out now and some great fishing is taking place.
Hugh
Hugh, I saw a very nice brown caught today where you told me a friend of yours had caught one over 20". I took some pics since the fella didn't have a cam, I would estimate it at least 18", neither of us had a tape measure. I have been very impressed by the average size and vigor of the fish at Nances Ferry this year. Most are healthy and fat and seem bigger on average than the last few years> Thought maybe all the early generation has been a factor, not as much pressure giving the fish more time to grow?

Neal
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Corbo Corbo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sevierville TN
Posts: 494
Default

Thanks guys for sharing about the Holston below Cherokee.... I would enjoy bumping into either of you on the river so long as we don't cross back casts!

This may a dumb question.... but... does Nance's Ferry area get very crowded with wading anglers? I went there last fall but couldn't wade due to high water and it appeared there were shoals up river... is it generally "okay" to walk up the riverbank next to that meadow or does the land owner require that access be only at the landing and wading up-river be the only means to reach the shoals? Water looked pretty deep in front of the launch.

Not a day goes by that I don't wish I lived in lower Grainger County; sadly I've been out voted by the wife and family....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-08-2011, 11:10 PM
pineman19 pineman19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greeneville, TN
Posts: 751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Thanks guys for sharing about the Holston below Cherokee.... I would enjoy bumping into either of you on the river so long as we don't cross back casts!

This may a dumb question.... but... does Nance's Ferry area get very crowded with wading anglers? I went there last fall but couldn't wade due to high water and it appeared there were shoals up river... is it generally "okay" to walk up the riverbank next to that meadow or does the land owner require that access be only at the landing and wading up-river be the only means to reach the shoals? Water looked pretty deep in front of the launch.

Not a day goes by that I don't wish I lived in lower Grainger County; sadly I've been out voted by the wife and family....
Corbo,

It hasn't been crowed at all, and the size of the river gives plenty of room for fishing. Yes, you can walk along the field, never had any problem for the last four years, just follow the path along the edge of the pasture field and you'll be fine. The path will break off and bring you out at the first riffle, which is the area that gets hit hardest by anglers. I prefer going up higher, it's easy wading along the rivers edge, generally less crowded and I like the variety of water upstream as well.

Neal
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-09-2011, 07:28 AM
bigjim bigjim is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13
Default Thanks

Hugh:

Thanks for the information; I appreciate it. Pineman heartly endorsed your flys yesterday when we spoke on the river. I'd like to order some for the Sulhur hatch on the Clinch. What would you suggest?

Pineman:

It was great meeting you yesterday I'm glad you had a good day on the river. I agree the fish look great on the Holston this year. Even the short guys look fat and healthy. If the ever shut off the Clinch maybe we could hit it together; even though you're a Browns Fan!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Hugh Hartsell's Avatar
Hugh Hartsell Hugh Hartsell is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Morristown Tn.
Posts: 394
Default Flies

Jim,
So that we don't violate any board rules, I will suggest this. I am going to be tying at Troutfest on Sunday, starting at 1:00PM. To help many who love fishing the tailwaters or the mountain streams, I'll be tying, and explaining, and answering questions about all the streams and the flies that will be hatching on each one. You'll pick up more information than you can imagine in the 5 hours that I will be behind the vise. You'll feel like you have been on a days guided trip by the time that you leave. I hope to see you and many others there.
Hugh
__________________
Hugh Hartsell---East Tenn.
smokymountainflyguide.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.