Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-09-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
Hugh:

Thanks for the information; I appreciate it. Pineman heartly endorsed your flys yesterday when we spoke on the river. I'd like to order some for the Sulhur hatch on the Clinch. What would you suggest?

You can throw just about any type of sulphur fly during the limited hatches on the Clinch and do well. I usually throw my largest dry flies during this time. The key is making sure they get the trout's attention and separate themselves from the group....I usually do this with a few bumps of the line to create the trigger...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-09-2011, 09:41 AM

My dumb question?

Up in Maine the caddis hatches were an evening affair.... like the hatch starts just as the sun sets and you fish till it's over; usually like 11 PM or later. Caddis don't really start there until late June and come AFTER the may fly hatches!

Are the Caddis here a daytime hatch? Size 14 tan okay?

I fish very few Elk Hairs caddis and usually tie on a CDC tan emerger with a shuck tucked hard into the film; might this work on Dixie Browns?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:07 AM

Default Size of the Caddis

Corbo,
There are at least 3 different types of Caddis on the Holston River. You need to think in sizes @16- 22 on this river. You can use a larger size for the top fly in a lighter color as an indicator if you like, but you will catch more fish in the mid and upper sections of the river on a darker, size#20-22. The hatch usually starts in the mid morning and goes through the mid afternoon. Some days it will go into the evening. The majority of Caddis you see in the late evening are egg layers that come from bushes and trees along side the river. If you are fishing the Watauga River the sizes will run larger. The emerger will catch fish here as well. Just think a little smaller in size.
Hugh
Old 05-09-2011, 10:25 AM

Thanks guys;

Wasn't certain I would attend the TroutFest BUT as Hugh will be there and I would like to see these caddis ties perhaps I'll convince my wife to let me out of the house (watching grandkids for 5 days) or perhaps we all go!

I'll assume darker means brown instead of tan.... looks like I'll be at the vise today.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 PM

Default See you there

Hugh:

I''ll make it a point to be there on Sunday look forward to meeting you. LRO has been very helpful in the past and I do buy from them quite a bit for them. I tried to claim them as a deduction last year but the IRS wouldn't go for it.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2011, 08:34 PM

Pineman:

It was great meeting you yesterday I'm glad you had a good day on the river. I agree the fish look great on the Holston this year. Even the short guys look fat and healthy. If the ever shut off the Clinch maybe we could hit it together; even though you're a Browns Fan!

Hey Big Jim,

Went back to Nances Ferry on Monday as well. Caught a really nice bow (15"?) up where I told I had been fishing. My email is pineman19@yahoo.com. Drop me line sometime and we'll hit the Clinch or the Holston some time. I hope to head to head to Nances Ferry tomorrow after work if it isn't raining. I figure the caddis won't last too much longer on that part of the river.

Neal
Old 05-11-2011, 12:12 PM

Hey guys, I have only fished the Holston a couple of times and haven't been there in a couple of years. How long does it take the released water to reach Nances Ferry? Thanks.
Mike
Old 05-11-2011, 01:56 PM

Default Hey Mike,

It usually takes about 5 hours to reach Nances Ferry and that can vary a few minutes either way depending how much water they are releasing. There is some good fishing down there right now.
Hugh
Old 05-11-2011, 02:17 PM

Thanks Hugh, I appreciate the info, Hope you are doing well.
They show a one hour pulse this morning of around 2100 cfs, can you wade through those when they arrive at Nances Ferry?
Thanks Again,
Mike
Old 05-11-2011, 03:11 PM

Default Pulse

Mike,
You can continue fishing that far downstream when a pulse comes through. The biggest problem with any rising water on the Holston is that it can turn the fish off for a little while. If there is a hatch taking place when it happens usually the fish will continue feeding. Good luck on the river.
Hugh