Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 05-16-2011, 05:23 PM

Very nice. That is a trip I plan to make one day.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:24 PM

I have hiked into deep creek one time from the top. It is one of the most beautiful and romantic streams in the smokies. A true back to nature trip. Awesome picks, great story and glad no one was hurt in the fall.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the report. Because of this post my wife and I will make the trip to CS55 Monday. We will hike up from the campground. Any suggestions on fishing areas that are better than others?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drugcop4 View Post
Thanks for the report. Because of this post my wife and I will make the trip to CS55 Monday. We will hike up from the campground. Any suggestions on fishing areas that are better than others?
DrugCop,

I would be happy to comment on what we experienced during the one trip we made. Others with more experience in this area might have other insights.

We spend one entire day fishing below Campsite 55 back up to the Campground and one entire day fishing above Campsite 55. For us the two areas provided quite different experiences and opportunities.

Fishing below campsite 55 required an uphill Deep Creek trail walk and than back down to where the trail meets the stream again creating a wonderful loop. Two of use ended up walking all the way to campsite 57 before entering the stream and fished all the way back to 55 campsite. Downstream we were able to use a little larger dry flys like size 10 and 12 with a size 20 hairs ear dropper.

Upstream from campsite 55 was completely different for us. The water was much smaller. The upstream trip had cascading pool after pool. The day we fished upstream of 55 the creek was a little small for a dropper so we used just a number 16 simulator the entire day.

You should have a great time fishing around 55 if it's anything like what we experienced. You will always have the option of fishing the Left Fork of Deep Creek if there is to much water on the main Deep Creek.

Good luck and please post some pictures and a report.

Last edited by Mac; 05-20-2011 at 10:46 AM..
Old 05-18-2011, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the advice. I will have the stream to myself as my wife will just sit bankside and read. If I survive the hike up I look forward to fishing for about two days straight. What was your timeline on fishing from 57 up (how many hours)? I will attempt to get photos and provide a report.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drugcop4 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I will have the stream to myself as my wife will just sit bankside and read. If I survive the hike up I look forward to fishing for about two days straight. What was your timeline on fishing from 57 up (how many hours)? I will attempt to get photos and provide a report.
For two old guys, we left campsite 55 about 9:30AM to 10:00AM and made it back between 4:00PM and 5:00PM.

My brother is tall and jumps from rock to rock looking like Sasquatch, so we were hitting every hole but moving pretty quickly as well.

If you look up into the trees over the creek you should find about a half dozen each of our flies,
Old 05-27-2011, 09:42 PM

Well we are back from our Back Country Fishing trip. I will have a trip report complete with photos as soon as possible. On the 7 mile hike out I rolled my ankle on the 2nd mile. I hiked out the last five miles with my 42 pound pack screaming in pain the whole time. On the drive back we made a detour to LeConte emergency room where I was told that I have a broken ankle. I am waiting to get back home to see the surgeon. I will try to get the report up in a separate post when I can.