Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 05-16-2011, 12:03 PM

Default Removing Fly from Tree Tool.

Looking for a little help.

I was fly fishing with this gentleman a little more than a week ago and he had this really neat tool that i can not find anywhere and was wondering if anyone knows where to find one or what is it called.

Like I stated in the Title of this thread, the purpose of this tool was to assist in removing you fly from an overhead tree limb that is out of reach.

The tool was designed with a small tub that you put over the tip of your flyrod. attached to the tub was a large "hook" or a toothed serrated hook on the end and there was a small piece of rope tied to the end of the tool.

The way this all worked was you put the tub end of the tool over your fly rod tip and raised the "hooked" tool above your head and attached it to the tree limb that had your fly caught onto it. Than with the small piece of rope you could either pull the branch down to remove your fly or you might even be able to break the branch that contained your fly.

Anyone seen anything like this?
Old 05-16-2011, 12:39 PM

You're on the right sight to get one....go to LRO online catalog and look under the category Fishing Accessories...there is a subsection called other accessories and one of these gizmos is there for the grand price of $3.75....
Old 05-16-2011, 01:21 PM

Rog,

Thanks, i knew i was close, just did not know i was that close.

Excellent.

Just looked at the one on LRO catalog. This looks to be a little big and heavy. It is hard to tell by just looking at a picture. I will have to stop by LRO the next time i am in the area and take a look. This is what i was talking about but the one i saw was fairly small and light weight. If anyone has any experience with any other fly retrievers out there that is light weight and compact i appreciate any information.

Thanks.

P.S.
I have googled Fly retriever just have not had much luck.

Last edited by Mac; 05-16-2011 at 01:57 PM..
Old 05-16-2011, 02:55 PM

Mac...what weight rod do you usually fish with...this retriever is not all that heavy and I have even used on like this on a 2wt. rod...when fishing with my 4wt it is no problem at all....
Old 05-16-2011, 03:31 PM

Rog,

That sounds like it would work than, i use a 4wt and if you have used one with your 2 wt than that should be fine, i will take a look. Sometime just looking at a picture can be hard to determine.

I could not tell if this was as big as a garden spade/shovel and rope that you would use to hold your boat or if it was something you could take backcountry and fit in a small part or your flyvest pocket.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:00 PM

Mac...this thing is maybe the size of a pack of cards...one end slips into your rod tip and the other end slips over the limb....it uses a piece of nylon twine to pull the whole thing down...these things will pay for themselves in one trip...hope it is what you need
Old 05-16-2011, 04:22 PM

Mac,
We carry two different kinds of Fly Retrievers. The one like Rog described and that is listed on the Online Catalog is $3.75. We also stock the kind that you saw in use with the tube. It is called the Fly Retreev and is $11.50.

Both styles are much safer to use than pulling on the fly line or using the rod tip to free the fly.

Daniel
Old 05-17-2011, 09:10 PM

I have never seen thqat on the catalog before. I definately got to pick one up.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:44 PM

If that will work on tree squirrels, I've got to get me one of those also.

Do grey or fox squirrels show any preference on size & color, or should I just match the hatch?

Bill
Old 05-18-2011, 09:00 AM

From an early age I found that casting to the trout up there was like Charlie Brown and his kite....its going to eventually end up in a tree some where....this usually happens on the last false cast before dropping the fly in front of a huge trout