Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-22-2011, 11:37 PM

Default Another week on Calderwood

Well the kids and I survived another week on Calderwood. I have pictures but, the server for the site that I use won't load up so I can't down load any pictures yet. Anyways, it was a fun filled week with the kids catching over 20 trout between them and several being over 16 inches. They used night crawlers under a float again and to my amazement the trout just gobbled them up. I spoke to a few guys that weren't having any luck and they asked how we were catching them and I told them exactly what we were doing and they tried with no luck but, they didn't have any the 5 x tippet for a leader. I felt bad that I didn't offer them any but, I was running very low on it myself. So if you go 4lb test must be to heavy for the trout. I caught several on dries but, only 1 that was around 16 but, I did have a brown that would go WELL into the 20s explode on my hopper pattern that I was using. Either I was to quick or he just missed it but, non the less I watched him swim back to his grass bed hide and lay there. I never could raise him again. There was something interesting going on on Calderwood thou and that was the quilifier for the World Fly Fishing tournment that will be held in Italy. They fished for 3 hours Thur, Fri and Sat morning and 3 hours Thur, Fri, and Sat evening. I wasn't to impressed with any of it as there were 2 fishermen and 1 judge per boat and you were scored on total length of ALL the fish. So if you had 3, 10 inch fish and 1 29 inch fish the fisherman with the 29 incher would loose. I understand that they were all new to the lake but, every single one of them fished the same exact way and that was streamers and I only saw 2 guys change up and they were the two that saw me land the 16 incher on a hopper. It was interesting to watch as they worked the streamers. They would cast, tuck the rod under their armpit and then hand over hand "reel" the streamer in and when they came by my camp that was 10-12 feet over the river I could see the white streamer coming threw the water and it was really neat to watch.
There was sporadic hatchs of green drake, sulfers, and black caddes but, never enough to force the fish to really focus on one fly. I got more rises one evening on sulfers tho. There was an orange fly that would fall out of the trees and the trout devoured them along with the ole green grub worm. One guy was having real good luck on "sour wood" worms. I have pictures of the orange fly and can't wait to post them so someone can tell me what they are. The lake had come up alot since last week and was actually at full pull this morning so that was interesting to fish the trees that I saw out of the water before. We also saw the eagle up close and the kids just loved that. I have some really great pictures of him (or her) that I can't wait to share. We also got to see a mother wood duck and her brood swimming around skimming the trash line and the kids were amazed when the chicks dove and they could see them swimming under the water.

Around noon on Thursday the kayakers came..... by the hundreds and over ran the entire area. Now I know some of you guys kayak so I won't go into detail other than to say some of these guys were OUT THERE. They pitched a tent honest to goodness 5 foot from my table and over ran the neighbors camp pretty much taking it over with little thought. I had two sleeping under my boat trailer the next morning. I didn't much care for the crowd simply because I felt like I was constantly having to watch my kids because they never meet a stranger and I had to keep them "at bay" because they wanted to know everything about the kayaks. Plus with all the traffic I didn't allow them to ride on the usually quiet road to the boat ramp. But, it all worked out in the long run.

I was in desperate need of a shower and the kids didn't want to leave and begged me to stay "just one more night" but, I had to be at work so we left today around noon and on the way home they talked about how much fun that they had had and thanked me for taking them and that made the planning, packing, unpacking, packing back up and then unpacking at home worth every minute of it. I will get the pictures on here as soon as I can.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:03 PM

I had been wanting a Dutch Oven for a while.

Dutch oven biscuits.

Funnel Cakes.

This big guy was great.

Some of the fly fishermen

OK. what is it because the trout were gobbling them up as soon as they hit the water.

Green Drake

Old 05-25-2011, 12:09 PM

Yes my boy is wearing a Hanna Montana life jacket. I forgot his on the pontoon boat so my daughter had to wear an adult jacket and give him hers.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 PM

great photos
thanks for sharing
Old 05-26-2011, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the report Fishnhunt that looks like some great memories for you and the kids. They will be thinking about that one when they are old and you are long gone. I was over that way fishing twenty mile on Saturday.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 05-27-2011, 12:41 AM

DUDE! seriously funnel cakes? Im not letting my kids see this post, or I'll never hear the end of it! "Why dont WE get funnel cakes like that?!"
Old 05-27-2011, 11:41 PM

They only cost about $100. LOL!!! Seriously, tho they are easy as making pancakes. I done a google search for dutch oven funnel cakes and have 4 recipes just for funnel cakes now along with about 100 recipes for other stuff. Mix them in a bowl and pour into a zip lock bag and cut the corner out of the bag and squeeze it in. I just wish I had blue or straw berries for topping instead of grape jelly but, it was still MMMMM good.

I picked up a trivet for my biscuits just today so no more burt bottoms. I love "Jeremiah Johnson" cooking.... That's what the crotch rocket riders called me that camped next to us the first day.

Does anyone know what the orange fly is?
Old 05-28-2011, 01:29 PM

goin to calderwood with my daughter soon. was hopin to find someplace to camp nearby the lake but drawing blanks. all i have found is in robbinsville and fontana but like to stay closer to calderwood. i've never been there before
Old 05-29-2011, 11:54 AM

To be honest with you the camping spots at the boat ramp on Calderwood are nice and for the most part quiet. My favorite spot is the third table on the lake side. It catches the breeze coming up the lake in the evening so it stay cooler. The second table is also a good choice but it doesn't have the all day shade like 3 does. I have NEVER had any problems with theft and have made quick friends with alot of people up there. I would have no worries about leaving my wife and kids there alone while I fished.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:37 PM

much thanks! i was unaware of any near the launch. i found a map online yesterday, dated feb 2006 that showed a slickrock creek boat in camp ground. my brother and i were thinking about a scouting/fishing trip there sometime this week. we may paddle down and check that out too.