Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-26-2011, 07:57 PM

Shawn,

I just knew that somehow I would eventually wind up going to church..... or at least a church parking lot!

55 fishing in one area? YIKES!! Sure hope there is room to spread out there when I do get the chance to fish it.

On Saturday I'm returning to Nance's to seek out a huge rainbow I accidentally hooked last weekend... long story but I hope he's still around as I'm gonna take a six instead of a 2 weight and plan to throw Montreal Whore streamers at him. Weird thing is that I had let my fly go past me after an upstream cast so I could dip my hat in the water to cool my skull and the fish ate my size 18 sulphur parachute just off my left hip... then he swum in front of me upstream and wrapped a large rock only to stall out right in front of me! He just pulled away on my fly facing directly toward me only 2 feet away till the 6x popped!

Scientists claim men think about sex every couple minutes their entire lives... I think about fly fishing more often than that! Wondering if anyone ever studied how often flyfishers think about flyfishing?

I'm pathetic....
Old 05-27-2011, 10:49 PM

Post Sulphur Images

Good luck Corbo...The church is a great place to fish and meet new friends. The wading area extends about 3/4 of a mile; so, there are plenty opportunities to fish.

Here are a few sulphur nymphs I seined from the river. Be mindful; they are light yellow in color with a black thorax. Not your regular BHPT color. Also; you can throw unweighted nymphs below you to a rise and allow the nymph to float at the surface film. Be patient and let your drifts extend to 3-5 minutes and one will pop it. Also, the majority of the nymphs I seined were a hook size of 16-18. Hope this helps...

If you get a chance to fish the sulphur hatch; you will not many fish are rising-but, I have seen very few take the adult flies. Most are taking the sure bet of hitting an inverse sulphur nestled on the bottom of the water film.

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 05-27-2011 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: Added Hook Size
Old 05-28-2011, 10:19 PM

Well Shawn I think you have a classic case of obsessive compulsive nymphing disorder if you drift a nymph for several minutes at a time. LOL Great pictures!

I actually tie some of my sulphur parachutes with a badger hackle that makes a black dot at the wing post.

The technique you describe is commonly used by some folks up in Maine and is referred as "bowling for brown trout"...

How do yellow CDC emergers work for you guys?

Is this an all day hatch? Morning, afternoon? The Sulphurs back in Maine were pretty much a 1:30 Pm hatch and you could set your watch by them.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Well Shawn I think you have a classic case of obsessive compulsive nymphing disorder if you drift a nymph for several minutes at a time. LOL Great pictures!
The technique you describe is commonly used by some folks up in Maine and is referred as "bowling for brown trout"...
Actually, I do have some extra-ordinary (time-wise) drifts when I fish the Clinch. I really do not enjoy fishing nymphs or streamers. I actually enjoy throwing dry flies when the fish should not be hitting them. However; the fishing can be super slow with that approach.

*The nymphs move sideways, upstream, and just about every other way you can think of.. [behind ripples/in pools]. I have a great video I shot the other day that illustrates this point. I will try to upload it to my Facebook Page and attach a link in this post.
Quote:
How do yellow CDC emergers work for you guys?
I have not fished any lately. I hear emergers are working very well. I just need to tie some up. I usually throw this emerger from Umpqua. It is one of two flies I usually purchase.

Quote:
Is this an all day hatch? Morning, afternoon? The Sulphurs back in Maine were pretty much a 1:30 Pm hatch and you could set your watch by them.
Usually, the Clinch is a pretty consistent hatch when it starts to come off. I have noted that is usually starts (Adult) around 11-11:30am at the lower end and it runs pretty solid until it clouds up or the water starts generating. I have not seen any hatches on the upper end; due to the generators starting so early in the AM. At the halfway distance in the river; I usually see mostly clingers waiting to release. However; there are some adults hatching at this point. The last 2/3 of the river is pretty consistent with adult Sulphurs all the way down to Dismal Bluff (Basically, the end of the tailwater).

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 05-29-2011 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: Added some clarity to a topic.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the detailed info and great underwater photos. I'm always interested in seeing what the trout sees. Always gives me some new ideas. Silvercreek
Old 05-29-2011, 08:27 AM

Default Underwater Video

I tried adding this video very quick to help illustrate the underwater nymphs. I have to head to church; so, I did not have time to clean it up. It seems Facebook removed some of the quality. I may have to try another one later at a higher quality setting....

http://www.facebook.com/v/10150277711108319

Old 05-29-2011, 09:25 AM

Looking at the current "suphur nymph" population on the Clinch makes me wonder if they aren't PMD's? PMD nymphs are very yellow and pale whereas sulphurs are usually dark. PMD and sulphur dries can often be fished with either representation.
Have we got a new bug on our river? Hmm?

4X
Old 05-29-2011, 12:08 PM

This is from one of my favorite books called HATCHES;
Quote:
The FAMILY EPHEMERELLIDAE, GENUS EPHEMERELLA, Species: invaria (common name Sulphur, Pale Evening Dun), rotunda (common name Dark Hendrickson, Red Quill -- now Sulphur), and dorothea (common name Pale Evening Dun, Sulphur, Little Maryatt, Pale Watery Dun). These three mayflies, plus a few less predominant species, represent the eastern hatches most commonly called Sulphurs.
I have pictures of all of these during the past month. The nymphs in my sampling case are the majority that were seined on May 23, 2011.

I try to keep things simple when talking Sulphurs as not to get in to a pi&&ing contest that can become quite complicated and intricate; plus, waste allot of information sharing time. If you look on the Regional Map of Tennessee that charts the different types of hatches per county; you will notice that there is a broad distinction of hatches from county to county. It is extremely interesting and enlightening. I think the link is on the Univ. of TN website(?).

If we do get a new species on the Clinch; I found it Just kidding fourx...

Old 05-29-2011, 08:38 PM

OMG.... now we're getting into latin stuff!

Not having been here in TN very long I'm no expert on local bugs.

BUT

Red Quills look nothing like Dorothea or Rotunda (both essentially what most folks call "Sulphurs") and Hendricksons are actually Female red Quills.

I love tailwaters but my observation is that Dams that operate "run of river" like those in much of New England the Mayflies seem to do better in terms of numbers and variety of species... this may also be a temperature thing as well but I think that the raising and lowering in level and the velocity changes have much to do with what species will survive in Southern Tailwaters.

I would be Wicked Curious to know whether there are mayfly hatches ABOVE Norris Lake on the free flowing Clinch river?

There is no doubt cold water from the bottom of Norris "creates: a trout fishery but does it create a mayfly habitat?

Is there no caddis hatch at the Clinch? There are Caddis on the Holston below Cherokee and I think it is due to greater nutrient.... essentially poop from farms.

Where I live-d in Maine the hatches were always best where the river ran along farm land... more bugs. Downstream of towns with wastewater treatment the trout grew huge but too much chemical to eat them.

I've always wondered why TRICOS and other western bugs couldn't be transplanted to eastern waters?

So I visited the Clinch behind the Church today; met a nice guy Ben and another awesome guy, Steve, who is wicked experienced with the Clinch bugs and is a TU member according to Ben.

Didn't fish as I am too exhausted from work and fishing yesterday but plan to fish the Clinch next Saturday and maybe bump into some of you guys.

Madison Boats, Shawn.... have you thought of tying a Klinkhammer design for these film sucking trout?
Old 05-29-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
OMG.... now we're getting into latin stuff!

Not having been here in TN very long I'm no expert on local bugs.

BUT

Red Quills look nothing like Dorothea or Rotunda (both essentially what most folks call "Sulphurs") and Hendricksons are actually Female red Quills.

I love tailwaters but my observation is that Dams that operate "run of river" like those in much of New England the Mayflies seem to do better in terms of numbers and variety of species... this may also be a temperature thing as well but I think that the raising and lowering in level and the velocity changes have much to do with what species will survive in Southern Tailwaters.

I would be Wicked Curious to know whether there are mayfly hatches ABOVE Norris Lake on the free flowing Clinch river?

There is no doubt cold water from the bottom of Norris "creates: a trout fishery but does it create a mayfly habitat?

Is there no caddis hatch at the Clinch? There are Caddis on the Holston below Cherokee and I think it is due to greater nutrient.... essentially poop from farms.

Where I live-d in Maine the hatches were always best where the river ran along farm land... more bugs. Downstream of towns with wastewater treatment the trout grew huge but too much chemical to eat them.

I've always wondered why TRICOS and other western bugs couldn't be transplanted to eastern waters?

So I visited the Clinch behind the Church today; met a nice guy Ben and another awesome guy, Steve, who is wicked experienced with the Clinch bugs and is a TU member according to Ben.

Didn't fish as I am too exhausted from work and fishing yesterday but plan to fish the Clinch next Saturday and maybe bump into some of you guys.

Madison Boats, Shawn.... have you thought of tying a Klinkhammer design for these film sucking trout?
Corbo, you are welcome to fish with me any time. Norris lake has many sulphurs and the upper tributaries of the Clinch/Powell inlets produce different styles of macro-invertebrates. I have tons of information, daily logs, samplings, etc. to detail the Clinch hatch. However; I do not want to debate these issues on the internet. I have been working closely with several of my TWRA/TVA/ & Audubon contacts in disseminating the insects I have been collecting.

Send me an email if you want to know more detail about the Clinch. I will be on the next shocking run with TWRA cataloging the fish.