Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-25-2011, 02:59 PM

Default Breathability of Simms G3 waders?

Just thinking of upgrading to the Simms G3 chest waders and was wondering about the breathability of these waders. Do alot of small stream bushwhacking and walking long distances in waders so breathability is of high concern. I have read alot about the legendary durability of Simms waders but want to hear if they trade breathability for durability. Just for reference, I have used Orvis Silver Labels in the past.
Thanks,
Jed Green
Old 05-25-2011, 05:06 PM

If you do allot of bushwhacking or freestone fishing; I would look at a pair of the Simms Convertible waders or just the pant waders. I know what you mean about breath-ability in waders. I hiked in to the gorge area of the Davidson River last week and I thought I was going to sweat to death. I really did not even need waders for this area.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-25-2011, 06:36 PM

My wife & I both have Simms G3 chest waders, and we haven't had any leaks in 3 years of hard usage. Our trip to Maine 3 years ago almost ended in disaster when both of our waders (a different brand, not Simms) both started to leak within one day of each other. It was ironic. We decided that we wanted waders that wouldn't leak standing in a cold tailwater river.

Last fall, we had our waders on when we hiked about two miles up the Shenandoah River in Virginia. Yes, it was warm, but we didn't die on the hike up and back.

You could always get a day pack and put your waders & boots in it, and change when you get to where you are going. You'd probably have some food & drinks you want to carry anyway.

Shawn's advice is also valid. It's kinda your choice.

Bill
Old 05-25-2011, 07:20 PM

Dawgvet,

Is there a particular reason you are looking at the G3 waders?

Most everybody I know who fishes backcountry just wet wades for the majority of the year with the exception of winter. I have a previous generation of Simms Blackfoot breathable waders that I have been using for 5 years now. I average >25 trips a year to the area tailwaters, and have not had a problem with sweating too much. In addition to that, I have never had a single leak out of them. But I take good care of all my stuff. I store my waders hanging up, and I hang them up immediately after each trip. Plus I was them after about every 4 trips with Revivex.

Personally, it just seems like a bit of overkill for backcountry streams where you could easily tear your waders falling or on a blowdown. I know Simms has a lifetime warranty on workmanship, but I don't know that they will replace them if something like that happens.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 05-25-2011, 09:10 PM

I work for smoky mountain angler and we rent g3 waders. (not trying to advertise on LRO's site…just offering help) you can come rent a pair to see what you think. Also the simms headwaters are gore-tex too and cost less. I have a pair of the g3 convertibles and recommend them or a pair of g3 pants or headwaters pants.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:50 PM

Plain and simple. Wet wade April through mid-November.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
That sounds like what Frieedie taught me. If it warm enough to fish the park, it's warm enough to wet wade. Save your waders for the tailwaters where it really will make a difference. Plus waders just hold you up when you are trying to climb up rocks with huge steps, and it's just one more thing the "Rhodobeast" can rip & tear.

Just my 2 cents
Old 05-26-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
Couldn't have said it better...been fishing in the park for over 50 years and have never owned a pair of waders....like my grandfather always told me...if you carry it in you got to carry it out and it is always heavier at the end of the day...usually a pair of nylon fishing pants and a pair of wading boots is sufficient.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

I fished over 120 days last year in my g3's. No leaks, no problems. I do not suggest in getting wading pants. In the off chance you fish a tailwater they are useless. Simply roll down your cheest waders and use a belt to make your own pants waders if you need to. I typically destroy waders in about a year, so my hat is off to the folks at simms. Now if only they still made felt sole boots...
Old 05-27-2011, 06:53 AM

So you guys who wet wade, do you use the short "guard socks" as Simms calls them, under your normal boots?

steve