Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-27-2011, 08:20 AM

Well guys; I like to use a 2 weight tip action Orvis Trident with a Hardy ultralite disc drag reel... it may seem I'm a bit under gunned for long casts but I can break a lot of "the rules" with this set-up.... like fishing to rising fish dead up stream.... the line falls so softly.

Only downside is the wind; then still usually go light or switch to a 5 or 6

Good topic
Old 08-27-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Well guys; I like to use a 2 weight tip action Orvis Trident with a Hardy ultralite disc drag reel... it may seem I'm a bit under gunned for long casts but I can break a lot of "the rules" with this set-up.... like fishing to rising fish dead up stream.... the line falls so softly.

Only downside is the wind; then still usually go light or switch to a 5 or 6

Good topic
Corbo,

I have a 2 weight, I can't imagine using it on the tailwaters, especially on the Holston or the Clinch, just doesn't seem like enough rod to handle the bigger fish IMO.

Neal
Old 08-28-2011, 08:12 AM

I have and used a 9' 5wt z axis with an abel 3n but have now swapped over to a 8' 6" sage ZXL with able creek series reel. However, I will say this I mostly concentrate to fishing over on the Elk river.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:39 PM

Pineman;

It is a shame that we have not fished together as I would be pleased to land a 25 inch brown with a dainty outfit trout if you can put me over one!

When I moved here last year I hoped to fish more than I have been able; now that I'm "physically" better I'm worn out most weekends from week day work as this heat is beating me up.

The Clinch river seems to have poor recreational flows just like the soho.... when do you guys find time to safely fish them?/
Old 08-28-2011, 03:20 PM

I have seen that an 8 ft. 5 wt. is a common outfit for Tennessee.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Pineman;

It is a shame that we have not fished together as I would be pleased to land a 25 inch brown with a dainty outfit trout if you can put me over one!

When I moved here last year I hoped to fish more than I have been able; now that I'm "physically" better I'm worn out most weekends from week day work as this heat is beating me up.

The Clinch river seems to have poor recreational flows just like the soho.... when do you guys find time to safely fish them?/
Corbo,

I have only fished the Clinch a few seasons, but this year has been much tougher IMO so far to wade fish. Norris Lake reached "full pool" in April this year, pretty much stayed that way until early July, now they are lowering the lake much faster than last year. Seems they will have to back off soon (I hope) or they won't have enough water till the winter rains begins. All that hot weather has surely played a role, same deal on the SOHO imagine. Watch the schedule in the next month, it should get better for wade fishermen.

Neal
Old 08-28-2011, 05:31 PM

Pineman;

I haven't been to Nances or below Cherokee for many weeks; hope you are catching over there! If the Soho flows were wadable on weekends I would endure the 2 hour drive each way..... anyone ever want to car pool let me know!

Even though the Park is fairly close I have a hard time getting excited about fishing it.... seems there's always kids splashing about the best pools and six inch fish just don't do it for me.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Pineman;

I haven't been to Nances or below Cherokee for many weeks; hope you are catching over there! If the Soho flows were wadable on weekends I would endure the 2 hour drive each way..... anyone ever want to car pool let me know!

Even though the Park is fairly close I have a hard time getting excited about fishing it.... seems there's always kids splashing about the best pools and six inch fish just don't do it for me.
Corbo,

I have grown a little weary of the Park as well. Been fishing it pretty often since 2000, actually caught my first trout on a Panther Martin in the mid 70's at Elkmont when they were still stocking trout, it was a brook trout, I assume northern strain. I was in G-Burg yesterday, had my tackle, couldn't get excited about fishing there, instead I drank beer and BS'd in my fav watering hole down there. I may head to the SOHO next weekend, I'll be 51 next sat., need to get ot and fish for the first time in nearly a month. I am considering moving closer to the Tri-cities, have to do some more research and see if I can transfer to that area. I haven't fished Nances Ferry since May, the water gets kinda warm down there after June IMO.

Neal
Old 08-30-2011, 04:58 AM

Pineman

If you want to split the gas expense I would be happy to tag along on a ride to the Soho.

I turned 52 in May; seems the older and more broken down I become the less energy I have to do the things I enjoy most. There were years that I worked well over 40 hours per week managing many employees and multiple jobs but still managed to fish 4 or more times every week.

Maybe I have "LOW- T" ?!?!? LOL

See what happens when I watch TV instead of fishing?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:21 PM

Corbo, there comes a time that the iron in your blood turns to lead in your pants. Speaking from experience here at almost 64.