Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 04-24-2011, 06:16 PM

Default Another newbie says hi

I wanted to follow proper etiquette and say hello. I have been following this forum for about 2 years so I didn't realize I had never posted before. I fish for trout with my two boys, ages 11 and 12 in North Carolina. We have been flyfishing for just over a year, mostly on stocked streams, although we have caught a few on the wild streams here. We just had our first backcountry trip ever into the Smokies, and although we did not catch any fish, we had a great time. I read the posts and saw the pictures of so many of you all on this forum and decided I just had to try the Smokies and we can't wait to get back there!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:55 PM

Welcome to the forum hookedontrout! Glad to hear your trip was a good one. I am going on a long planned trip this weekend to Noland creek with my 6 year old son (that lowest campsite). Is that where you went by chance?

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 04-24-2011, 09:39 PM

Went to campsite 50 up from Smokemont.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:46 PM

oh yeah thats an easy access one too only a mile or so in. I have had lunch there a couple of times but never stayed there. I always wondered if that little stream Chasteen creek had trout in it. Of course with Bradley fork being so close probably not many people try out Chasteen. Sorry you guys didn't hook up with any trout did you get any hits on your fly?

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 04-26-2011, 11:51 AM

Crockett - not even a hit, a flash, or anything close. We are real beginners with little experience in wild streams so we probably were not fishing correctly. We were just walking and climbing upstream looking for slower water near plunge pools and casting a parachute adams with a nymph dropper about 12 inches below it. What baffles me is another post for the same day that says they caught 50 brookies in the park that day, I guess things on the Tennessee side must have been calmer and that person is probably much more experienced, but we are learning and can't wait to go back.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:59 PM

Welcome, hookedontrout. If interested, shoot me an e-mail to info@saintclairmapping.com , and I'll fix you and your boys up with a free map. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

JF
Old 04-26-2011, 02:48 PM

Welcome hookedontrout

I can feel for you. Never had one of those 50+ days. But I bet you still had a great time. Its good to be out there (or it is for me)
Old 04-27-2011, 10:33 PM

Default newcomer

Welcome hookedontrout. This is the place to lie all you want and everybody will love you for it! Have fun!
Old 05-16-2011, 11:41 PM

Welcome to the board. Fishing for trout in the Smokies can be a challenge at first but its worth the effort and fun to do with the family.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:01 PM

Welcome to the board! Enjoy your time on here, I know we do. Good luck in any future trips. Remember, the catching is just icing in the cake. flyguys