Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-30-2011, 04:31 PM

Thumbs up Noland Creek 5/28

Because it was memorial day weekend my Dad and I decided to seek some less crowded waters. I decided we would hit Noland Creek because I read somewhere it gets passed up for forney and deep creeks. People definately shouldn't pass up this place! We got to the trailhead at about 7:30.

The trail was great besides the fact it was covered in horse poop. The butterflies didn't seem to mind.
When we started fishing we were way to low, so we hiked up a bit further. We stopped and I headed upstream while my dad went downstream. I got a few rainbows this size...
They were nailing driesw, but were very spooky. I worked my way up and got some nice rainbows and a couple small browns like this.
It seemed like every little pocket held fish. My Dad and I met up again after a little while. He was skunked, so we fished together a little while. We got more of the fiesty little rainbows.
We got up to the third bridge and my Dad chilled a little while. I got 3 nice fish all about 8-10" real fast. After I got them I went back down to my dad. We walked back to the car. We were back further than we thought and walked back about 2.5 miles. It was a great day! Here's a few more pics....
\

Old 05-30-2011, 04:48 PM

Very nice, Noland is one that I have not yet fished.

Is that a Northern water snake or a copper head?
Old 05-30-2011, 05:07 PM

I'm pretty sure he was a water snake. He didn't have the triangular head like copperheads. He got pretty mad when I got close to him though!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:53 PM

Nice report, looks alot like a copperhead to me.

STU
Old 05-30-2011, 11:01 PM

Definitely not a copperhead...looks a lot like a corn snake to me or perhaps a king snake. Nice report on a beautiful stream. Glad you caught plenty of fish!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-31-2011, 07:33 AM

Yeah, I was thinking it looked more like a corn snake too. It was definately beautiful back there. It was my first time fishing the smoky's, and there will be bany more trips up there!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:56 AM

Great report with some nice photos! Once you fish the smoky mountain waters, you always come back.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:14 PM

Nice photos Noland is one of those creeks that generally fishes good in the summer, and it's a nice escape from the tube flotilla on Deep Creek. A good friend of mine says there are only 2 types of snakes, live ones, and dead ones. He wouldn't have been able to fish the rest of the day without looking under every leaf if he had seen that snake. BTW, I think PA was right, I believe it's a corn snake.