Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 05-30-2011, 09:10 PM

Default Still Flyin'

Left work early on the 19th to do a little pond fishing for bass. With all the cicadas hatching I thought the top water bite would be on, and it was! I only had about 2 hours to fish so I made the best of my time and really worked the pond over. I started with a sz. 1 black popper with red eyes and got a huge hit on the first full cast! I hooked a largemouth but he jumped and shook out the fly. I then started working my way around the pond and got lots of hard tugs but no takers, it was bluegills and the fly was to big for them. I down sized to a sz 4 Chartruse/black/red popper and started wearing out Bluegills! Kinda small ones, all males. Then I landed a fat male Bluegill he was a solid 8in. long and about an inch thick, "pan size" mmm.... Anyways, I continued working the water and landed a small Largemouth, at about a pound, then 5 minutes before I decided to leave I hooked into a good size largemouth, he was 19in. and was over 3lbs., this was one of the big boys for this pond. This was a really good sign, because the pond had a turnover year 3 summers ago, and the bass and gills are reaching good sizes now. Those 2 hours on the water shure beat two more hours at work.

Big Blugeill

The "pounder"

The "Biggun"

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 05-31-2011, 12:52 PM

Nice, Mark! That last one looks like he'd put a nice bend in your 5wt