Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 05-31-2011, 07:50 PM

Default LRO "Greenie" flies

I'm having trouble with the beadhead greenie flys I've gotten from LRO.....can't keep fish on --think I've got the hook set only to loose the fish a few seconds later. Today between myself and my fishing partner we probably lost 20-30 fish. Probably loosing 40-50% ...

Anyone else having the same problem ?
Last years flies didn't seem to have this issue.

Would appreciate some feed back....Thanks
Old 05-31-2011, 08:18 PM

Honestly, I have the opposite problem, I can't keep the dang fish off the weenies. They are tearing them up.

Seriously, I go through phases where I hook and lose a lot of fish, regardless of the fly. I know when the fish are aggressive, they pretty much hook themselves. When they are more subtle, a good hookset of critical.

I'll give you an example, last month at Eagle, I hooked 37 trout on the first day there, I landed 5 or 6 of them. I am saying I landed 5-6 out of 37 hooked, I ain't talking about strikes. That's a 16% landing ratio of hooked fish. Subtle takes by the fish and too slow a hook set by me. Yes, I always keep count.

Not saying you are not setting the hook correctly, just saying that has happened to me.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:36 PM

Are you dropping the weenie off an indicater or dry fly. If so try making the distance shorter. The shorter the distance the quicker the striker is transfered to the indicater or dry fly. Alot of the inch worms I see are in the upper column of the water. So this would seem natural to the fish.
Lynn
Old 06-03-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish4wildtrout View Post
Honestly, I have the opposite problem, I can't keep the dang fish off the weenies. They are tearing them up.

Seriously, I go through phases where I hook and lose a lot of fish, regardless of the fly. I know when the fish are aggressive, they pretty much hook themselves. When they are more subtle, a good hookset of critical.

I'll give you an example, last month at Eagle, I hooked 37 trout on the first day there, I landed 5 or 6 of them. I am saying I landed 5-6 out of 37 hooked, I ain't talking about strikes. That's a 16% landing ratio of hooked fish. Subtle takes by the fish and too slow a hook set by me. Yes, I always keep count.

Not saying you are not setting the hook correctly, just saying that has happened to me.

I had similar issues a few weeks back on Forney. Their takes were very delicate and subtle and even though I would have a several seconds of playing the fish, almost all of them got loose before I could land them. I thought at first it was the barbless fly I was using, so I switched to a barbed one and it didn't make any difference. They were just taking the flies in a manner that was different than what I was used to.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:56 PM

You guys might very well be correct. I was not using an indicator or as a dropper. Apparently the fish don't strike the winnie strongly enough (at times ) to result in a "hooked"
I too fish barbless and did the same thing you did NDuncan with the same results.

Igreatly appreciate the input you guys have give....."Bob"
Old 06-03-2011, 11:53 PM

I have experienced the same thing most recently last night I fished Tremont and landed about 10 but lost another 10 on green weenie dropper. Most of these would be on the hook then shake off before landing them. In this case they weren't Byron's green weenies but ones I tied with chenille he sold me (a connection here maybe?) hehe. Seriously the chenille I tied them with was thicker so I thought about getting some thinner chenille because I was assuming there just wasn't enough of the hook exposed to get a good set since the chenille was so thick around the hook shank. Just a theory but I am probably just not setting it right or some other odd thing like others are theorizing. Also Lynn's theory may be right on I did try a much longer length on the dropper yesterday than I usually do. Usually I do about 15 inches but I went to about 20 or so cause I was experimenting.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 06-04-2011, 10:36 AM

I used to tie some in 14 and 16 long curved nymph hooks, this spring I tied them all on size 12 and I also use small dia. chenille. It seemed to make hook ups easier and I didn't lose many.
Tad
Old 06-04-2011, 11:17 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlshealy View Post
I used to tie some in 14 and 16 long curved nymph hooks, this spring I tied them all on size 12 and I also use small dia. chenille. It seemed to make hook ups easier and I didn't lose many.
Tad
I think you guys are talking about greenie weenies[Streamer] type flies? If so; I use a similar hook size that tlshealyrecommended. Although; I do have to clean my hook a little more often. It seems to hook up very well. I think the hookup problem may arise by the tail getting in the way of the hook during takes. Not sure; but, it seemed like a good idea to change my sizes to try to remedy the problem. Also; I like to use the good quality chenille and a small size. I have purchased the cheaper stuff and it is nothing but a memory monster not to mention most of the chenille rubs off while handling it.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-04-2011, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the help Tad and Shawn and thanks for posting this topic Bob. I have been using size 16 long nymph hooks but will change that up a bit now trying 14 and 12s too as an experiment I think.

Shawn I never really thought of the green weenie as a streamer. I always thought of it (as far as how to fish it) like a nymph and fish it drifting naturally with the current. Is that how you fish it?

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 06-04-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Thanks for the help Tad and Shawn and thanks for posting this topic Bob. I have been using size 16 long nymph hooks but will change that up a bit now trying 14 and 12s too as an experiment I think.

Shawn I never really thought of the green weenie as a streamer. I always thought of it (as far as how to fish it) like a nymph and fish it drifting naturally with the current. Is that how you fish it?
Crockett,
Are you talking about this fly?

If so; I fish it as a streamer.

If you are talking about the green-caterpillar fly; I fish it similar to a nymph without an indicator. Hope that helps.
to choose, to respond, to change.”