Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 06-02-2011, 04:59 PM

Default Hiking boots

While not directly Smokies related, figured you guys would be able to help. I am looking to start doing some hiking around home to get some excercise and hopefully to start preparing for a backcountry trip in the future. What type of footwear would you guys reccomend?

Thanks
Old 06-02-2011, 05:30 PM

I love my Asolo boots. However, I would suggest going to REI if you have one near and letting them find a fit you. If you are going to be doing a lot of walking, then a good fitting boot is very important. You don't want blisters or boots that to tight. I would also look at upgrading footbeds also.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:34 PM

I wear a hybrid Montrail Approach shoe. They are Gortex and have a heavy duty vibram sole. They are much lighter than boots and more comfortable for me. I've done 10 plus mile days on the AT with a heavy pack with no problems. Downside would be the lack of ankle support, but it just makes me focus more on foot placement.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 PM

Their are many available features for your consideration. Weigh them all carefully. The higher the boot the heavier it will be. Unless ankle support is a consideration, use a lower boot. Believe me, the lighter the boot the more you will enjoy hiking. As the late Colin Fletcher said, the first criterion is quality. The second is fit. So is the second, third and fourth. Have your hiking boots fitted to you by someone who knows what they are doing. Also don't rule out having a pair for hiking and another for backpacking. Boots are your wheels. What tires would you use for a cross country trip...........................?

Lee
Old 06-03-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe a View Post
I wear a hybrid Montrail Approach shoe. They are Gortex and have a heavy duty vibram sole. They are much lighter than boots and more comfortable for me. I've done 10 plus mile days on the AT with a heavy pack with no problems. Downside would be the lack of ankle support, but it just makes me focus more on foot placement.
I've got the same set-up joe a has, except I got a mid-cut hybrid. Montrail Cirrus GTX i believe. Like everyone else has said, find a shop with a good boot fitter and let them help you out. Footwear and socks are the 2 things I purchase where price is not a factor in my decision.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:45 PM

I had a pair of Vasque Sundowner GTX's that I bought back in 1985 and wore them till about 3years ago when I finally broke a shank. If you want a comfortable high quality leather hiking shoe with goretex for waterproofness up to the top of the lacing, These are great. not just for hiking but everyday wear.

http://www.vasque.com/vasque-shoe/71...r-gtx-burgandy
Old 06-04-2011, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the information guys. I guess I need to find an outfitter for these. Not sure what is around the Louisville area. I would definitely like to get with a knowledgeable sales person to help me with the fit.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:01 AM

Thumbs up Asolo boots

Tim,
Definitely know your feet and try to write a short summary of how you plan to use them and your typical hikes. This will help your salesperson guide you to the right boot. Also; take hiking socks and a list of your top boots you want to try on. Put them on an walk around the store for at-least 15 minutes for each pair to see how your feet feel. If you hike mostly in warm and dry conditions; I would go for a lightweight breathable pair. Do a bit of online research and put yourself a simple list of what you want to try. This will save you tons of anxiety and headache in the long run...

I love these boots as well "Asolo boots"...probably my favorite brand. However; I have skinny-long feet and they seem to fit my feet well.
http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Google/asolo%20boots?s_kwcid=TC|13029|asolo%20boots||S|e| 6742270205&cm_mmc=ps_google_OW-_-Category%20-%20Footwear-_-Footwear_Brand_Asolo-_-asolo%20boots&gclid=CJzB9cjbnqkCFQ4g2godakdmtw
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-06-2011, 08:18 AM

I have been using Asolo FSN series boots, and love them. Give the boots 20 miles break in at least before donning a pack, or bring moleskin though.

Hiking boots can get darn costly, so let me recommend a place that can save you some money. www.sierratradinpost.com carries a lot of backpacking boots at good prices. If you join their "trail mail" email list, you will often get 20-40 percent coupons off their reduced prices. End result is I got my last pair of $200 Asolo boots for $70.

Another important consideration is your socks. I use and recommend both brands Smartwool and Bridgedale as the outer. I highly recommend using a thin liner sock as well. I use Smartwool liners in Spring and Fall, and during the Summer I use a cool-max material liner, I have had them so long I don't recall the brand.

-Matt-
Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
I have been using Asolo FSN series boots, and love them. Give the boots 20 miles break in at least before donning a pack, or bring moleskin though.

Hiking boots can get darn costly, so let me recommend a place that can save you some money. www.sierratradinpost.com carries a lot of backpacking boots at good prices. If you join their "trail mail" email list, you will often get 20-40 percent coupons off their reduced prices. End result is I got my last pair of $200 Asolo boots for $70.

Another important consideration is your socks. I use and recommend both brands Smartwool and Bridgedale as the outer. I highly recommend using a thin liner sock as well. I use Smartwool liners in Spring and Fall, and during the Summer I use a cool-max material liner, I have had them so long I don't recall the brand.

-Matt-
Man, I saved that link. $70 is a killer price. I always use smartwool-especially in my wading boots. I will have to look in to the liners. Thanks for the link and information as well...
to choose, to respond, to change.”