Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 06-13-2011, 10:58 AM

Default Foam

Some time ago there was a discussion about different types of foam for tying flies. Despite several search attempts, I cannot locate the discussion. What I am looking for is a closed cell foam which is more stretchable than the craft type foam. The craft foam does not wrap well around a hook shank and when pulled over an under body it tends to bulge an the bend whereas the more stretchable foam actually narrows at the bend. What is the name of the foam I'm looking for and who sells it? Thanks in advance. Silvercreek
Old 06-13-2011, 09:05 PM

I use 1mm razor form to wrap most of the smaller bodies I tie. It stretches some, but it still requires you have a smooth underbody when you wrap it. I don't like most of the foam that I have found in a craft stores. Most of it has too much plasticizer which makes it too stiff. I like the foams that are especially made for fly tying. They are softer, which makes it easier to compress, and thread doesn't cut them as easily. They have some stretch and give built into them.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:25 PM

Folks seem to be selling the craft type foam. I have a little of the more bubbly foam left from years ago. It stretches a lot more than the craft type, but I do not know the name of it. Looking for something about 16th of an inch thick. Flyman, I think you were the one whose discussion I was looking for and had a name for it. Regards Silvercreek
Old 09-22-2011, 10:47 AM

Hey Friends,

It's funny, I wrote about foam in the Fishing Report today. I have been tying Stealth Bombers using some craft foam bought at a craft store. It gets waterlogged and doesn't float well. The foam we sell is called Fly Foam. We buy it from Wapsi. It floats well.

I called Pat at Wapsi this morning before I saw this post and asked him, "What is the difference between the foam we buy from you and craft foam"? Here is basically what he said. We buy closed cell foam from Wapsi. The 2mm Thin Fly Foam costs a lot more that open cell foam which has linked cells that absorb water.

Craft Foam can be open cell or closed cell. You can buy foam at the craft store that is closed cell and it will float better. I guess what I bought was open cell.

Pat said we could buy the large sheets unpackaged and sell them here at a lower price. The problem I see is shipping and merchandising a 12" x 18" piece of foam. I think those larger pieces of foam would need to be shipped in a separate box from Wapsi so they would not get damaged.

Silver Creek, we may have what you are looking for and we do sell the foam Flyman is talking about too. Many of us use foam sheets and we'll probably be using more as feathers are harder to come by.

I found out today that peacock is going to be hard to get. Evidently, the peacock became the National Bird of the Country that sells a big portion of the feathers and they won't be exported any more from there. I think he said it was India.

Byron
Old 09-22-2011, 11:27 AM

Thanks Byron. Silvercreek
Old 09-22-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
I found out today that peacock is going to be hard to get. Evidently, the peacock became the National Bird of the Country that sells a big portion of the feathers and they won't be exported any more from there. I think he said it was India.

Lets just hope that Lady Gaga or someone like that doesn't start putting peacock plumes in their hair and start yet another fashion trend...
Old 09-22-2011, 03:25 PM

It sounds like in the future, fly shops will have to have their own aviaries in order to have the feathers available!!!

But I guess on the plus side, you could also sell fried chicken, turkey, peacock, pheasant, etc...
Old 09-22-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
Hey Friends,

It's funny, I wrote about foam in the Fishing Report today. I have been tying Stealth Bombers using some craft foam bought at a craft store. It gets waterlogged and doesn't float well. The foam we sell is called Fly Foam. We buy it from Wapsi. It floats well.

IByron
Byron-

On a related subject, I've been trying to find tubular foam in various colors to tie NeverSink Caddis, terrestrials bugs, etc. I can usually find white and cream color tubular foam. Can you shed any light on this foam?

Thanks

Bill
Old 09-23-2011, 09:25 AM

Hi Bill,

We sell small foam cylinders that would work. We stock yellow in 3/16" and 1/8". White, orange, chartreuse, tan and black are stocked in 1/16" and 3/32". There are 10 cylinders per pack and each is over 1" long. They sell for $2.25 per pack. We don't sell many of them and I only stock 3 of each. I just got a Wapsi order in so I won't be ordering for a couple of weeks. You can call the shop and order them to give it a try.

By the way, I cut some bodies from our black foam last night. It was easier to cut than the yellow or chartreuse we sell. That made me suspicious. The black foam is less dense. It might not float high like the other colors. Maybe all this stuff is the same no matter where you buy it. I'll tie some Stealth Bombers from these bodies and see if they float higher. I bet they won't.

Byron
Old 09-23-2011, 10:20 AM

Byron-

Thanks for responding. I'll call the shop soon.

Thanks

Bill