Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 06-16-2011, 01:13 PM

Default few days on Indian Boundary

I spent a few days camping with family down at Indian Boundary earlier this week. I try to go a couple of times each year. The weather was perfect and the fish were biting! lots of bass and bream on topwater every time I fished. I mainly fished in the canoe from about daybreak till 11am each day but did make a couple of evening wade trips around the coves. The lake is full of small largemouth that cruise the shorelines chasing minnows into 3-4" of water. I took several black stealth bomber cicada patterns with me and they seemed to like them along with a black roadkill popper. The cicadas were non existant and I only saw 2 husk hanging on trees the whole time we were there. If you go, take black poppers and at least 2x tippets. there are lots of tree structure and stumps in the lake that you need to keep the fish out of. I took both a 4wt and a 7wt.
Here are a couple of typical fish from the lake.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:56 PM

Nice Fish. did you get these in canoe or wading?
Old 06-16-2011, 03:12 PM

Both of these fish were caught from the canoe. I did not carry the camera with me either time I was out wading. I wish I had though, I caught a really nice size bream one day on a black SB that was longer and fatter than the one pictured. I would say it was 10" and a couple inches wider than my hand.
The lake has a walking/bicycle trail that goes all the way around its 96 acres , so even without a boat, you can access the coves and points all along it. The bottom is mud/clay and is hard enough along some banks to wade but as you get deeper it becomes so soft you sink down into the muck. Many of the coves have shallow flats with a creek channel winding though it. wading along the flats with hard bottoms is best as these bass will hang out in the 3-5ft deep channels and chase the minnows up into the shallows. I would see the minnows blow up with a v-wake from a bass behind them. A quick double haul cast into the area and a couple of pops, would usually get you a hookup. Most of the bass are small compared to other local lakes, but they are a lot of fun on the fly. The biggest one I have ever caught was about 3 years ago, and it was about 4pds.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:54 AM

Love Indian boundary my son and I have stayed there and fished many times and biked around that trail a lot. One interesting thing Troutman is that little island just off from where the campground volleyball court is near A loop. The island has a rock wall along its edges kind of like a man made island or something. Would love to know the story about that one. One day my son and I were bushwhacking up behind B loop and found an old abandoned ampitheater in the woods there and spent the day playing there. This was a couple of years ago and I had forgot all about it but your post brought it back. I think I was in the same cove you caught the bass for this pic I took of my son. He was wearing a smokey the bear tatoo the campground hosts gave him.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 06-18-2011, 11:24 AM

Crockett, that little island is a mystery to me also. I've waded all around it. lot of river rock in that wall. The channel on the backside of it holds some decent sized gills at times and I caught several bass there wading monday afternoon.
That is the same cove in your picture. The left bank was very productive wed, morning. I believe I caught 5-6 bass before I got to the reeds on the back of the cove where the creek runs in. I like to be out on the lake at daylight. many times I've paddled down the lake in the dark just so I see the sunrise over the mtns and lake. very calm and peaceful.
I too had my son out for a paddle on Tuesday evening. he's a little older though (17) and starting college at UT in a few weeks. I only took my kayak paddle with me, so I paddled to the upper end of the lake and he paddled us back. good times spent before he moves off to his dorm in August.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:43 PM

Thanks for posting this. I was not familiar with that area so I Googled it to check it out. Looks like a good place for the wife and I to load up the tent, canoe and fly rods. That place looks gorgeous.