Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-17-2011, 04:38 PM

Default sluicing on the soho

Hey guys, I'm taking my dad to the south holston tomorrow for father's day. Has anyone fished it since they started sluicing 280 cfs? I fished it last weekend when they were running 210 cfs, the fishing was good as always but didn't see a heavy sulfur hatch. I figured they would be in full swing by now.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:51 PM

Default sluicing on the SOHO

ffs,
I just got back home from a trip to the South Holston this morning. The water is running a little higher and it seemed to be affecting the fish. If they could drop the flow a little and still keep the temperature in check, it would fish a little better. I only caught one fish before two young men walked right in on top of me and that finished my day. This seems to happen every time I go to this river. It is in bad need of a "river ethics class".
I moved to the CUL-de-SAC and I could not even find a place to park so things may not be too good for the weekend. Rod Champion said the heavier flows did not affect the Sulfur hatch. Several people came into the flyshop this morning while I was there and they were not catching fish.
Hugh
Old 06-17-2011, 06:54 PM

Wink I'm glad I canceled my trip last minute

I was planning on going today, but saw that the drag races were this weekend and headed to the Holston below Cherokee instead. I had it all to myself

With Friday being the new weekend for many folks, it's probably best to hit it mid week if you want some casting room at the Soho.

Hugh, are you sure those young guys didn't know it was you, and were just trying to learn a thing or two by getting close? I know I might be tempted to stalk you

I heard the 210 was great last week, and I have had great days at 530, and even once at 700 (sketchy) so I couldn't see how the 280 could be all that bad.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:22 PM

Default SoHo

Ducky,
I guess that I really didn't give the river a fair chance to prove itself since I barely got started. I do know that it fished great at 210 last week and I imagine that the fish were just waiting for the Sulfurs to start showing themselves. I've also got to commend ffs for attempting to do such a nice thing for his Father. My hat is off to him and I hope they have a great time up there.
Hugh
Old 06-17-2011, 10:15 PM

I fished it yesterday and it was pretty freaking incredible I have to say. It has been years since I have seen the South Holston fish this well. I was on the river on Tuesday as well, and same experience then. Nothing better then when they run the "sluice" flows up there. If you ever were going to, or want to fish the South Holston, no time is better then right now IMO for what that's worth.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:45 PM

I need to take a trip up there sometime this year, thats one of the places on my list to fish. Being I've never fished or stepped foot on the place, does anyone care to share directions and tips/areas to try out? I figure you take I-81 off I-40 but need help from there. If you dont want to post up, shoot me an email: rrb32 at yahoo dot com, Thanks.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:34 AM

Mr. Hartsell, thanks for the reply, and thank you for the comment about taking my dad fishing. He took me hunting and fishing as a kid and I will always be grateful for what he taught me. My dad was never into fly fishing but since I became addicted a few years back I have been encouraging him to go with me. He may never enjoy it as much as I do but I know he likes being out there with me, I think he has more fun just watching me fish!

As for the fishing I think we will give it a go tomorrow and see how it treats us, Hugh I think you may be right about the fish waiting for the sulfurs to start doing there thing, when I was there last weekend the fishing was slow in the morning but once some bugs started coming off things got good. I am afraid of the overcrowding factor though, I found the same thing you did when I pulled up to the cul-de-sac last weekend. I guess we'll see tomorrow!

Well thanks again for the input, hopefully I can get my dad into some fish tomorrow, I'll try to get some pics and post them after the trip.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:46 AM

I fished above the Central Holston church bridge last week and did well for a couple of hours in the evening. Not a great deal of bugs flying around and not too many people out (it was a Thursday) but I did experience the same thing Hugh did. An older guy waded by me, got right in front of me and proceeded to catch about a dozen from the section of water I was working up to. He strung his best seven and left, spinning rod in hand. Tried to make small talk as he went by as if everything was cool. It took a bit of effort on my part to reply to him but hey, I was glad he was leaving!

I don't think some folks give it a thought about where they go or who they disturb when fishing, at least that's the way they act, and it isn't always the young people either.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:00 PM

I think we all have had situations were the poor manners of others interfere with our fly fishing. I have had people "intrude" on the water I was working in rivers all over the east coast... in a perfect world this would never happen especially after you drive 2 hours to fish.

On the West Outlet of the Penobscot a guy once told me I "was in HIS spot" as "everyone knew he fished it every Saturday"!

My last time to the SOHO a big dude jumped into the run I was fishing and trounced through like a Rhino putting all the fish down (he was carrying a fly rod and had a sinker tied to the end of the line where it meets the leader). He started worming with his rig and I said nothing and went in search of other water... oh well.

When the law allows the shooting of ignorant Butt-holes there will be lotsa dead people.... just remember that any of us are likely to be guilty of poor manners at one time or another.

Ignorance is one thing but being a jerk is clearly another.... these are the same folks that leave litter, beer/soda bottles and worm packaging wherever they fish.... I wish the TWRA crew wrote littering tickets.

BTW... Hugh should consider carrying bear spray for all the obvious reasons.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:21 PM

I could write a book on poor etiquette on area rivers, and up until a few years ago I would vehemently voice my disdain to whoever crossed the boundaries. However, anymore I just don't care enough nor does it usually effect my success of failures.

As I have grown older getting into pissing matches on the river over a fish just isn't worth my time or effort. The same can be said for worrying about someone breaking protocol, I will either move on, or just ignore it. My favorite thing to do, is to just continue pounding on the fish until the other party gets frustrated and leaves.

Granted I won't speak to said person or persons, even when asked direct questions and silence for me is a cure for my hot headedness.