Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-19-2011, 11:15 AM

Default Wyo/ Montana Heads up

The Beartooth Mt.s and Bighorns are STILL GETTING SNOW!!! There are fantastic amounts of it up there. If you are planning on going to the the Yellowstone area, just be aware and be flexible with your plans. A trailhead where I hiked into a lake from last year was bare ground, today "7 foot of snow"!! We have no idea of when and how long the run-off might be- when it starts.

the Kytroutbum
Crazy Creek Campground
Old 06-20-2011, 10:02 AM

I am headed that way in late August. I am glad we planned it for so late. Some of the lakes we fish are pretty high and may not be ice free until late in the summer this year. Sounds like we will not have to worry about low water levels and warm water temperatures at least. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:44 PM

Me too - thanks for the post. If I recall correctly you do the the campground host thing out there in the summers. So I'm asking for your opinion, realizing that opinions are just that. But it should be a somewhat educated opinion.

Younger Tom and I have a trip planned for July 13 thru July 23. We've both been to Yellowstone before, but doing the tourist and hiking thing. This time it's just two guys up for 10 days of fishing. We've been reading the Park's Fly Shop reports so it's not a complete surprise to us that this is an unusual Spring. We're seeing some reports that the snowpack is 250% of average. Even with US Airways' disgusting fee of $150 per ticket to change our reservations, we're very seriously considering making the change.

We're looking at August 27 thru Sept 7 or maybe Sept 6 thru 17. We're somewhat flexible on exact dates at this point. And as a third option, postponing the trip entirely until next year. Looking at Parks' reports, the fishing is just about as good thru mid September in the Lamar Valley, Slough and Soda Butte Creeks area. You just have to be a little more stealth in your approach.

I know the crowds will be down significantly by then, so that's a plus. One concern is Labor Day weekend. What's that like in Yellowstone? And in general, if you were us and this were a once every 10 year trip, what change would you make?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:43 AM

I'd look at either later dates. The snow melt just started here. Places I walked into and fished last year at this time still have 5-6 foot of snow and more higher up. The Lamar River just took out the NE road with the park road closed at 13 miles in. Things are wierd as to visitation patterns this year. Other than the actual Holiday visitation starts to fall off rapidly after mid August.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:39 PM

Cool Sounds like a change in destination would be better

I'm like you guys and have fished that area several years and have never seen such a slow warm up as this year has been,
We decide to go to Colorado this year instead of Yellowstone and I'm glad we did. We are going to the Gunnison area where the fishing reports look very promissing. We found a cabin on a 500 acre ranch with 1+ mile of the Tomichi creek we can call our own for 10 days. There are numerous other creeks large and small we can fish within an hours drive. This year sounds like one I'll be glad to miss in Yellowstone & I dearly love the place.

GOOD LUCK if you continue with your plans
Old 07-07-2011, 12:11 PM

Just got a few minutes in town, beenfishing Grayling and bows in a few large lower lakes. The temperatures around 8500 to 9500 were in the high 60's. Water is running down the hillsides, streams extremely high but the snow on the tops of the mountains DOESN'T appear to be diminishing significantly. I talked with`several local guides yesterday, consenus is that we --MIGHT-- be able to fish the rivers sometime early August. If you are planning on heading to the NE corner of Yellowstone be sure to check with flyshops. I would suggest PARKS fly shop or North Fork Anglers sites for current info. I've seen a lot of campers disappointed with fishing. I've been able to send a few to a couple open lakes but seen a lot of very disappointment.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 07-08-2011, 10:20 AM

I am even starting to worry a bit about my trip in late August. Surely Slough, the Lamar and Soda Butte will be fishable by then?!? I am pretty sure the Beartooth lakes around tree line should be ice free too, but I am betting the mosquitos will be terrible.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:53 AM

I am planning on fishing the lakes this week. Am going to walk in in hipboots! I've talked to hikers who slept in snow at 9500 last weekend but it is going fast. I've got a "bug suit" I've used for Maine Blackflies that I'm going to use. The Clarks Fork of the Y is dropping but still off color ( other side of drainage from Lamar and Slough.) Things should be okay about August 1st. We're about 3 weeks behind.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:51 AM

Streams are clearing daily but the water is still cold. The temperature of the Clarks Fork of the Y was 50 on 23rd. I've caught some fish in the mountain lakes but everyone I've talked with has been skunked fishing the streams. I've been working a stonefly nymph down low which usually works wonders with these conditions here but not yet (;<).
Old 07-31-2011, 12:08 PM

Fishing conditions and catches improving daily (:>). The calendar may say tomorrow is August 1st but the NE GYE area thinks its mid July. Anyone coming from now on should be okay, streams still slightly high and cold but warming daily and dropping.