Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-20-2011, 12:19 PM

Default Best Fly Fishing Magazine

I'm just getting into fly fishing and would like to know what you all think is the best fly fishing magazine to help me learn about the sport? A very educational/informative one would be great. I just don't know where to start. I have Jim's book, Fly Fishing in the GSMNP, and a few of Ian and Charity's books, but thought a monthly magazine would be a good asset.

Thanks,

Birdman
John 3:16
Old 06-20-2011, 12:34 PM

Default Best Magazine

Birdman,
I get a couple of magazines. American Angler and Eastern Fly Fishing. The first one has some how to stuff in it and the second is mostly about destinations. I don't know that either of them will teach you more than spending some time on the water
Old 06-20-2011, 01:10 PM

Understood. Nothing beats on the water experience. However, I do enjoy a good educational read as well. Thanks LexFly.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:34 PM

I like thisisfly.com

It's online, free and has some entertaining stories and amazing pictures.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:01 PM

Did you move away from Rogvegas Birdman? I wish I had a magazine to recommend to help you out but I don't. I think there is one called sleepinginthedirt and it may be an online magazine but only looked at it a time or two.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 06-20-2011, 02:31 PM

Default Magazine

Flyfisherman Magazine has articles about fishing in many places- fresh and salt, how to, tying, conservation, issues, etc. It states it is the largest circulation of any fly fishing magazine. I have been getting it for about 5 years now. I'll be renewing it later this year.
www.flyfisherman.com
Old 06-20-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
I'm just getting into fly fishing and would like to know what you all think is the best fly fishing magazine to help me learn about the sport? A very educational/informative one would be great. I just don't know where to start. I have Jim's book, Fly Fishing in the GSMNP, and a few of Ian and Charity's books, but thought a monthly magazine would be a good asset.

Thanks,

Birdman
I have still yet to find any good ones...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-20-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Did you move away from Rogvegas Birdman? I wish I had a magazine to recommend to help you out but I don't. I think there is one called sleepinginthedirt and it may be an online magazine but only looked at it a time or two.
I did move. One of the reasons I haven't been on in a while. I got bit by the trout bug and then had to move away from the greatest trout waters in the U.S. ....bummer! The Caney is my new home water, I guess, at least until they stop stocking trout in the tailwaters Went out on it last weekend and got hooked in the ear by another fisherman not paying attention. The river was so crowded it was like bumper boats! I have never seen anything like it.

Thanks for all the info on the magazines fellas. Keep 'em coming.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:19 PM

Default Best mag.

Drake is the best I have found.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:05 PM

I haven't found magazines to be very helpful as far as tactics and techniques. They tend to explore topics at a somewhat superficial level or rehash the same old things.

I've learned mostly by reading forums online, reading books, and listening to podcasts. The Itinerant Angler(my favorite), Ask Ask About Fly Fishing(host is meh, but has great guests on), and the Orvis one(Tom Rosenbauer) are good podcasts. All are on iTunes. It would take you several weeks, if not months, to listen to all the content available from these three.

Some good magazines to check out are The Drake and The Flyfish Journal. I also get Eastern Fly Fishing occasionally for local content. I think Fly Rod and Reel is the best of the more popular magazines. I've been wanting to get my hands on Gray's Sporting Journal, but I haven't been able to find it locally.