Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-22-2011, 09:14 PM

Default The skunk is over!!

My family and I took a trip to the mountains the week of the 13-18. In addition to the "normal" vacation stuff, my son and I managed to get in some fishing. My son landed on small rainbow on Porters Creek, about a half mile above the confluence of Porters and Ramsey creek. That was his second wild mountain trout! I am so proud of him. I, on the other hand had a few come up and look at it, but no takers. So, on Friday we went to Gburg and fished for some stockers. My son caught one, and I finally landed a trout! Hooked a few more but couldn't get them to hand before they came unbuttoned! I know its not a wild mountain trout, they were stockers, but the thrill was still there. Maybe in the future I'll be able to catch a wild mountain trout and catch up to my son! I'll try to post some pictures as soon as I hind my hardware to get my pictures from the camera into the computer. Good fishing to all and thanks for all the help posted on this forum. Flyguys
Old 06-22-2011, 10:32 PM

Congrats...I know how you feel. Caught one my first trip and didn't catch one the next two trips. I can catch a few at a time now but it took me a long time to learn. Try leaving a couple of feet of float line out and just roll casting across stream and mending your leader and tippet. I don't even get float line on the water much. I find that hiding behind something helps with refusals. Anyway, congrats on the trout. Welcome to the addiction...My name is blueraiderfan and I'm a troutaholic.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 AM

Always a great feeling getting the skunk off. Stoker/wild is doesn't matter. Congratulations to your son.

John
Old 06-23-2011, 07:15 PM

Thanks guys! I just can't imagine what it would be like to be close to the mountains and those rivers and streams. It would be great to be able to keep your fishing stuff in your truck and be close enough to hit the water in about fifteen minutes. Instead, I guess i will continue to make the 6 hour trip whenever we can. Oh well.......maybe one of these days! flyguys