Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-29-2011, 02:13 PM

Default South Holston

Had a chance to get up to the SOHO on Monday and Tuesday. They were working on the weir Monday and the river was completley shut off for most of the day. Later, the fishing was ok as the water got back to normal. Tuesday, I caught fish all throughout the day, midges in the morning and then some sulphurs later. Saw some nice fish refuse my offerings more than once. Actually had a little solitude on the river for a while. Going back in two weeks for a longer stay, hope the hatch has picked up a bit.Water temp was 48 degrees at 10:30. Thats right......48.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
Had a chance to get up to the SOHO on Monday and Tuesday. They were working on the weir Monday and the river was completley shut off for most of the day. Later, the fishing was ok as the water got back to normal. Tuesday, I caught fish all throughout the day, midges in the morning and then some sulphurs later. Saw some nice fish refuse my offerings more than once. Actually had a little solitude on the river for a while. Going back in two weeks for a longer stay, hope the hatch has picked up a bit.Water temp was 48 degrees at 10:30. Thats right......48.
That is an insane water temperature for late June. Was it after a release? I can see that if it were after a morning release and the fog had not burned off yet. Also; if you were closer to the dam. We are seeing temperatures slightly above that on the Clinch in these conditions.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 PM

48 degrees calls for neoprene! I can only wonder what the river looked like with the water shut off... too bad you didn't get a photo.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:17 PM

wet waded on S.Holston felt great on monday
Old 06-30-2011, 07:53 AM

I took the temp down about two miles below the dam, walking in at the cul-de-sac area. That really seemed cold to me. My thermometer is fairly new, a Simms I believe. No generation, just sluicing. Bugs were active as were the fish.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I took the temp down about two miles below the dam, walking in at the cul-de-sac area. That really seemed cold to me. My thermometer is fairly new, a Simms I believe. No generation, just sluicing. Bugs were active as were the fish.
Those temperatures are what make the South Holston a great trout tail-water.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-30-2011, 04:26 PM

That's what I love about the tailwaters in the middle of summer: You've got polartec fleece under your waders, wool socks on your feet, and they're still freezing. Meanwhile, you've got on a t-shirt, and sweat is running down your forehead. And you can't see for the fog on the river!

Bill
Old 07-01-2011, 10:23 PM

Absolutely right, hot and cold at the same time.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Take a wide selection of sulfur dries with you. I have found that comparadun and hackle stacker styles of dries have given me the most success up there. Also, have different color variations of each. When I was there a few weeks ago, the color of the sulfurs hatching actually changed throughout the day. They started off a light yellow, and later in the day were more of a medium yellow. I have some additional information on my blog from that trip if you are interested.

Good luck! That is a fantastic fishery, that I really wish I could fish more often.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 07-02-2011, 11:50 AM

Chemeangler,
your dead on about different patterns and sizes. I don't think there is another river around where I change flies so often. My experience on the Soho is that sometimes, you will see fish taking different things on the same pool or run.Duns and emergers, in different sizes. Can be a real challange and to me, that's what makes it fun, or maddening. Can't wait for the next trip.