Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-30-2011, 10:28 AM

Default Anybody fishing?

My annual spring trip to the Smokys got sidetracked this year with work and taking my son to Florida during spring break to spend time with my mom and dad (his grandparents). They are getting older and we wanted to spend time with them sooner than later.

Bottom line, the annual spring trip to the mountains didn't happen. I hope to get there late summer / early fall (Sept / Oct).

With that said, I NEED to live vicariously through your fishing exploits. If you've been fishing lately, this fisherman stuck in Northern Kentucky for the summer would LOVE to read some fishing reports.

Jeff
Old 06-30-2011, 11:17 AM

Jeff...Sorry you missed your spring trip but what a great reason to postpone it. If it is a report you want here goes: My son will be starting college this fall and I figured our usual trips to the Park were going to become scarce so I reserved a week of his busy schedule and off we went. The two of us had not fished together for the last three years. Set up camp two weekends ago in Elkmont. Late Sunday afternoon we fished up Jakes Creek and caught some nice rainbows on Neversink Caddis. Monday Morning we hike up to CS#24 for 2 nights and the fishing was terrific. While I was setting up camp my son disappeared with his fly rod and came back with photos of a fat 9" bow caught right next to camp. That afternoon we hiked back to the forks of the river and fished back to camp...lost count of the fish...nothing really big but plenty of them. Tuesday morning we hike up to just below CS#30 and immediately go into the brookies...my son caught his personal best brookie at just under 8".... caught a lot of 8-9" bows and the water was perfect.....figure we both had 40 fish days ... on the way out on Wednesday we were rigging our rods up on the foot bridge over to Fish Camp Prong and my son pointed out the biggest bear I have ever seen up the casually crossing the river about 30 yards upstream....Thursday we fished the WPLP just below the Chimneys picnic area and caught a bunch of nice sized rainbows...the rains came in Thursday night and forced us up to Walker's Camp prong on Friday....water was ok but the bite was off...it was a great trip and I really enjoyed watching my son fish....looks like now the only thing I am a little better at is golf and he has let me know he's about to catch up with me...
Old 06-30-2011, 08:43 PM

Been on quite a few backcountry trips this spring/summer...some overnights some day trips. I haven't caught anything real impressive, so I haven't really said much about the outings.

I've done pretty well in the high country brookie waters, but haven't done so great on the larger creeks this year. I think the feast or famine with the rain is one of the main culprits.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:49 PM

Default Missed trip

Jeff, I'm also sorry you missed spring in the Smokys. I have fished probably 25-30 times in the park on the N.C. side and it has been a "SUPER" spring. I have caught more big (14"-16") browns than I did last year. I am retired so I can go most anytime I want plus I camped at Smokemont twice so far this year. The larger fish have slowed a bit and one has to work a little harder to get these guys.... I have only fished once on the Tenn. side and that was a trip to Cosby which yielded a number of 7-9" rainbows..
It's been a great spring and summer...drop me a note sometime and we'll spend the day together
Old 06-30-2011, 11:02 PM

Guys, Thanks for the fishin reports. I've fished most of those streams and reading about your trips allows me to "see" it and feel like I'm there.

I have done a lot of warm water fishing in local ponds. Took my pontoon out this evening and caught this guy on a green foam popper. Yep, a popper.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:34 AM

Talking I've been slacking on my reports - my twins keep me busy

I've have about 4 that I have wanted to post. I try & get one or two out in the next day or so.

I have been getting out at least once a week though, and the fishing was incredible last Wednesday! I'll save it for my report.

I also need to type one up about my trip with a Smokies master, and a complete newby who landed a 13.75 inch Brown on his first trip.

I also need to do my write up of Chapman prong where I broke my rod crawling through some thick rhodo (45 minutes to go 50 yards) in order to find the manway that had grown up on us since last year. TFO even sent me a whole new rod

Anyway, I'll try & get you a report or two, to help satisfy your "virtual fishing trip"
Old 07-01-2011, 10:28 AM

Nice Cat
I am planning to get some sunfish this weekend at a friend's cabin on the lake
Old 07-02-2011, 01:26 PM

Sorry you haven't made it out, I've only made one trip to the Smokies but fishing in WV has been excellent this spring! I've made a few trips back home, including one nine-day adventure.....LIGHTS OUT!!

The blue lines in WV are seven hours from Burlington but worth every minute in the vehicle!

Chris