Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-01-2011, 02:45 PM

Default North Platte WY

Anyone have any info that may be handy to a group heading out to the North Platte July 16 till 24 with the water levels this year. Planning on fishing the six mile streach from Pickaroon. I know we have the Encampment nearby and I think the Douglas also. Any other streams or tips that might come in handy other than don't drown crossing
Old 07-01-2011, 04:29 PM

Sorry, can't help with the Platt. There should be some info via Google on that area...Best of luck to you guys.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:59 PM

I fished the North Platte a few years ago. We floated it with a guide, and put in below pickaroon at a private access and floated down to saratoga. The float was far from great and only caught a few fish all day. We also camped at the six mile access which was above the pickaroon access point. As far as water levels, I really think it depends on the year and the snowpack. We were there a little earlier in July, and wading was difficult in saratoga, as well as at six mile where we were really confined to the bank. Like you said the encampment is right there and it fished really well while we were there. We fished both the lower end in the town of encampment, as well as the upper meadow stretches along the Colorado border. If I were to go back I would spend more time on the encampment, both upper and lower. Hope this info helps.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:02 PM

Default Access

We fished the North Platte and Encampment a few years ago. Our problem was access. On the Encampment, we could not even get out of the boat to eat lunch - trespassing. Our thought about Wyoming is "send us your money, but stay off our land". I would recommend that you fish some of the high mountain lakes in the National Forrest. It is beautiful and you can catch some nice Brooke trout. I am sure you will have a good time, but just get some good information about access.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:19 PM

Yes,
we fished out of Saratoga Wy. some years back and floated the North Platte. You can not get out of the boat while floating the river. We did stick a boot out to push off the bottom in a couple of places though. We were told th e fishing was going to be much better than it turned out to be. The river was beautiful, so was the land, nice experience, but the fishing was slow for us. Hope you have good luck there.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:32 AM

We found miles upon miles of wading access on both the encampment and North Platte. For us access wasn't a problem at all. There was a walking trail for several miles on the lower encampment with plenty of water, and the upper encampment is all national forest. The North Platte has several different access points like pickaroon and six mile that you mentioned with miles in between. I wouldn't worry about the access, however the fishing can be tough especially on the North Platte.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:09 PM

Default Access

We did not fish the North Platte below Saratoga. So, I don't know anything about that. However, we fished with a guide for three days on the Encampment and North Platte above Saratoga. The fishing was really good two of those three days. The first day was bad, but that was just the guide. However, I am telling you that the guide would not let us get out of the boat because the river bottom was private property. We are probably more concerned about it than most, and we did find access the days we fished without a guide, but it was limited. I am just suggesting good planning. That is all. The statement below was taken from a guide service site. I hope you have a great time!

In Wyoming, you must have permission to drop anchor, wade or beach your boat on private property. The land under the North Platte River, especially on Grey Reef, is mostly privately held. We offer 17 miles of private access, on Grey Reef, exclusively for our guests!

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:50 PM

Thanks for all the tips and advice, with the flows the way the are, we are going to stay in CO and try the area around the San Luis Valley and the Rio Grande.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:53 PM

As far as access is concerned, here are the access points on the North Platte which are upstream of Saratoga....
http://www.fourseasonsanglers.com/Up...cessPoints.htm

Further downstream, closer to saratoga and on further downstream, the NP does flow through some private property.
Of course you cannot trespass on private property but all these access points are on public land and there are literally miles upon miles of water.

As for the Encampment, there are basically two access points the upper end which is in the Medicine bow national forest and is approx. 10 miles or so, and the lower end near encampment, which is a few miles on BLM government property with a trail that runs alongside the river.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearlock View Post
As far as access is concerned, here are the access points on the North Platte which are upstream of Saratoga....
http://www.fourseasonsanglers.com/Up...cessPoints.htm

Further downstream, closer to saratoga and on further downstream, the NP does flow through some private property.
Of course you cannot trespass on private property but all these access points are on public land and there are literally miles upon miles of water.

As for the Encampment, there are basically two access points the upper end which is in the Medicine bow national forest and is approx. 10 miles or so, and the lower end near encampment, which is a few miles on BLM government property with a trail that runs alongside the river.
Cearlock, thanks for the info. Fourseaonsanglers was to guide us the first day to tune us in. As stated we are going to stay south in CO. It may be for the better, we have one fisherman that has never been out west, so the terrain will be more aweinsprining to him I think.