Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-02-2011, 10:04 PM

Default Jakes Creek/LR Above Elkmont

Fished Jakes Creek/LR Above Elkmont today with my sister. Spent most of my time teaching her to roll cast and stay out of trees but I did catch 4 and got two to hand. Got several other rises that I missed. Got one refusal from a large trout in deep water. Going back in the morning to try some more. Met two guys in the parking lot by Jakes Creek that had fished all day and hadn't even gotten a rise. Said they were tailwater fishermen. I remember those days.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Met two guys in the parking lot by Jakes Creek that had fished all day and hadn't even gotten a rise. Said they were tailwater fishermen. I remember those days.
Man, I had the opposite problem...learned in the mountains and got confused on tailwaters for awhile... Glad you got out and thanks for the report! Will look forward to hearing more...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 07-03-2011, 12:10 AM

Heck, I still get confused at both places sometimes. I had a nice pic of me and a little 10" bow from today but decided to drop my cell phone in the water...pic is gone (I rarely have anybody with me to get a pic of me holding a trout). We are going again tomorrow so maybe I get another chance.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:47 AM

A little 10" bow on Jakes Creek...my sister seems to have picked the worst subject to bring into focus (can't hardly see the fish)...cell phone cameras are for crap for the most part. I just need to get the droid x so I can drop it in the creek.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the report, sorry to hear about your phone taking a swim! I've got the Droid incredible and it takes great pics. It is a little nerve racking carrying it out on the water though!
Old 07-03-2011, 08:35 PM

Reed...I can imagine. I forgot about the incredible. Gotta check into that. Went back today and fished above Elkmont today. Several rises and refusals, three on, one to hand...a little 9" bow. Tough day of fishing and a tough area to fish (for me anyway). My sister caught her first trout...a little brown on a dry fly.

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 07-07-2011 at 08:43 AM..
Old 07-07-2011, 10:42 PM

Brf,
I had a good week altogether, fishing from Greenbrier to Roaring Fork to W. Prong
Little Pigeon but, despite that, toted a skunking today on Little River! !
That place is my "Eleanor", I never seem to do well and still have yet to catch a Brown! Oh well I still enjoyed the day, beautiful places!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:19 AM

I hear ya man...I think Jakes is better for bringing numbers to hand the size just isn't there. I probably won't fish that lower section again on the LR. Gonna walk about a mile up and skip all the boulder hopping. I still haven't fished the WPLP. Lots of places to fish in the park...gonna take me a while to get to them all.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
Brf,
I had a good week altogether, fishing from Greenbrier to Roaring Fork to W. Prong
Little Pigeon but, despite that, toted a skunking today on Little River! !
That place is my "Eleanor", I never seem to do well and still have yet to catch a Brown! Oh well I still enjoyed the day, beautiful places!
Bran...next time you go to LR hit the lower end of Jake's Creek where it flows into the LR...that section up to the bridge to the cemetery is usually good for a brown....good luck..hope this helps.