Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-12-2011, 11:25 AM

Default Father's Day Trip

My son, Porter, graduated from high school this year and will be off to the University of Alabama next month. He was supposed to have been a 3rd generation Gator and we have no idea where we went wrong. Since he was 4 years old he and I have been coming to Elkmont to camp and fish the week before school started. The last two years he had suffered hand injuries playing soccer and we couldn't make it. I was able to reserve a week of his summer farewell tour as a Father's Day gift this year.

We had intended to do some smallmouth bass fishing before heading into the backcountry but got rained out the afternoon we arrived and awoke on Father's Day to rain and more rain. We set up camp in Elkmont at the upper end of F section Sunday afternoon with a plan of hiking in to CS24 on Monday for two nights.

We headed up the trail on Monday before lunch and unlike our previous trips when Porter was younger he never offered to lighten my load on the hike in....trail seemed a little steeper and the pack heavier than the last time we did this. There was only one other couple set up at the lower end of the campsite when we got there.

While I was getting us settled in Porter disappeared and next thing I know he comes back with his flyrod in hand and a big grin on his face. He pulled out our camera and began showing and describing how he had caught a nice rainbow right by our campsite.

That afternoon the water above #24 was amazing. There was a trout in every pocket and 2-3 in each of the bigger pools. EHCs and Yellow Neversink were working so we fished until almost dark.

That night the fire flies came out and put on a natural light show and later on we had a small shower that cooled things off for a good sleep. The next morning Porter made like a typical teenager and wanted to sleep.

On Tuesday we hiked almost to CS30 and began fishing some of the upper forks of the LR.
We immediately got into the brookies that were taking small stimulators and barbies.

I had not fished this water in over 20 years....what a treat it was to share it with Porter and to watch him catch fish like I remember doing when I was his age. We must have caught and released 40-50 fish a piece that day before the rain came. Great excuse for a nap before a late afternoon trip below #24.

On Wednesday we hiked and fished our way back to Elkmont. As we were rigging up on the footbridge to Fish Camp Prong we watched a huge bear cross the stream about 30 yards above us. Largest fish of the trip was caught in the run just above the bridge by the old man.

We wanted to keep a couple of fish for a meal before we left so on Thursday we fished WPLP below the Chiminey picnic area. The water was a little high but the fish were in the protected areas. Porter tried his hand at nymph fishing and came away a wiser man for the effort.

The last day we had to fight the results of another storm so looked for some fishable water on Walker's Camp prong. Coldest water of the trip. Did not catch a lot of fish but couldn't complain about the company.

I know these trips will be harder to come by as time passes so I sat back and did a lot of watching Porter catch fish. He is the fourth generation of fishermen to ply theses waters in search of these magical fish. Something must have hit a note with him since he wants to study fishery biology and work in the mountains somewhere. This was a great Father's Day and thanks for letting me share it with y'all.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 AM

That's a special trip.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:58 AM

Very nice...he'll remember that one. Poor teens grow so fast they need a lot of sleep
Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 PM

Pretty cool. I wish my father had done things like that with me when I was a kid.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:51 PM

That sounded like a wonderful trip. I really enjoyed the report and pictures. Having family with you makes for some of the best trips ever.

Catching the fishing when its just right makes for some majical times.

Thanks for taking the time to post a report.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:36 PM

Glad you both had a good trip. Wish it had not rained so much that week so you could have taken him for some smallmouth while here. Maybe he will decide to use spring break next year for a mtn fishing trip with Dad!
P.S. GO VOLS on Oct. 22nd !
Old 07-12-2011, 02:57 PM

What a fabulous Father's Day for you both! Good job for taking the initiative and making it happen. Wonderful pictures and trip summary...

Thanks for sharing...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-12-2011, 10:01 PM

Rog,

Great report and pics. Nice to see you enjoying an area that I know you really enjoy with your son.

Neal
Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Glad you both had a good trip. Wish it had not rained so much that week so you could have taken him for some smallmouth while here. Maybe he will decide to use spring break next year for a mtn fishing trip with Dad!
P.S. GO VOLS on Oct. 22nd !

Go Blue Raiders Nov 5th (Fresh QB for us...oof).
Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 PM

Nice report and photos.