Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-16-2011, 12:02 AM

Default Thunderhead during the rain 7/14

I am noticing the board is getting scarce with fishing reports, so here's a brief one.

JayB decided to get me out o fmy current funk by suggesting we leave work at 4 on Thursday and hit the park. Before we left, I pulled up wunderground and saw that there was a good sized thunderstorm with almost no motion dumping rain on the LR watershed. But we went anyway. We noticed the river was chocolate milk in townsend and up all three prongs at the WYE. BUT when we got to the top of Tremont road, it was clear that while Lynn Camp prong was chocolate milk and high, Thunderhead was high and stained, but not so much that you couldn't see to the bottom. Before the metal foot bridge, I started fishing one of the parachute yellow jackets I tied this winter (for pic see fly tying forum). I caught a 6" bow the first time it hit the water, which of course means I would be skunked for the rest of the evening... I had a few strikes and misses on a parachute adams (grey and yellow ones) as well as on a neversink I borrowed from Jason. The canopy was good at catching most of the rain that part wasn't too bad and by the time we left, it had stopped altogether.

I wish I had brought my camera, but I didn't. Jason took his, and he caught a 7" bow and had another good sized fish on that managed to shake free as he was getting it out of the water, but I don't think he took any pics. He'll have to comment on that,

All in a great couple of hours at the end of aday to be on the water.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the fishing report.

Jeff
Old 07-27-2011, 03:18 PM

ha my friend mundele and I took off at 4pm on Thursday the 14th with the same plan. We were going to hit thunderhead but that storm had so muddied up the water up tremont way we decided to go to anthony creek. We did pretty good up there. We suspected the water might be clear up at the end of the road but didn't try it.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 07-27-2011, 05:26 PM

I hate to encourage sin among the brethren, but I love "dingy" water after a storm. Drop a size 10 or 12 black nymph into the pools and hang on!!! I have caught quite a few rainbows and browns, literally right at my feet!!! Lots of fun. I still attend to the dry fly purist church of the 14 royal wulff, but I do tend to backslide occasionally.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 PM

nasty water is about the only time i catch nice fish in the mtns.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:05 PM

We did stop on the way out of tremont at some deep holes and chucked a few clousers around in the brown water didn't catch anything but we tried.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...