Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-17-2011, 01:15 PM

Default Fourth of July day trip

This is my first post on the forum, and late to boot. Over the fourth of July weekend, my father in law was in town from Vermont and wanted to fish the park. He's always been in awe of the seclusion that is possible, as he is accustomed to rotating pools and larger crowds in some of the New England waters he fishes. I knew it would be crowded so I chose a spot away from the main campgrounds and one that had a trail that followed it for a good distance.

We got there about 7:30 and people were already moving up stream as expected, but not too many people. We started at one of the first pools missing fish here and there, and after 45 minutes or so we started picking up a few fish. I was using a yellow adams and he was using his go to henryville special. We both ended up with four or five trout and a couple of 10" rainbows that put up a good fight. The fish were really spooky and were darting around the pools more than I've seen in a long time. I'm not sure if it was the warmer weather, or maybe some pressure they've been getting. It ended up getting really warm and the fishing slowed down and thunderstorms rolled in.

It was a great day and it's always fun to fish new spots and explore in the park when I get a chance. I'll definitely hit this stream in the fall as a friend said it's got good brown trout fishing then for a few hogs.

I have to go back and read about posting pics again, so until then, here are some pics from the day on my blog. http://bit.ly/q0vqDk

Tight lines!
Old 07-17-2011, 03:02 PM

Sounds like a fun time. Gotta love those 10" bows. Seems like around the 10-11" mark they start to put up a decent fight on my 4wt.