Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-19-2011, 10:39 AM

Default Deep Creek

The wife and I are headed to NC next week, and I've talked her into spending a night at Deep Creek where I could prolly get in a couple hours of fishing in the evening and morning.

Without revealing honey holes and what not, what are some tips you guys have used? Should we hike above the falls to start fishing?

I've mostly fished the Caney with a couple forays into the Smokys.

I appreciate the help.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:09 PM

You will have to get up at least a mile or so to get above the tubers. They ought to be in full hatch. I would save your allotted fishing time for when the sun is not on the water, early am or late pm.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerts9 View Post
The wife and I are headed to NC next week, and I've talked her into spending a night at Deep Creek where I could prolly get in a couple hours of fishing in the evening and morning.

Without revealing honey holes and what not, what are some tips you guys have used? Should we hike above the falls to start fishing?

I've mostly fished the Caney with a couple forays into the Smokys.

I appreciate the help.
Hey,

I was at Deep Creek two weeks ago, one of my favorite areas and streams in the Park. If your willing to burn some shoe leather, I would head to the last wooden bridge before the trail becomes smaller and cuts over Bumgardner Ridge. Good fishing all the way to BC campsite #60 for Browns & Bows. Some of my best action was on a dry/nymph rig, with most of the action on a BHPT dropper.

You can also fish the "tuber section" early in the morning before the tubers get moving. I prefer to head farther upstream in summer, but I have caught a few down low in summer when the tubers are still snoozing.

Neal
Old 07-20-2011, 12:11 PM

tigerts9, I agree with joe a and neal. This Bryson City quad snip-it includes the area Neal described. CS 60 is at the top where Deep Creek jukes west. At the bottom is the junction of Deep Creek & Indian Creek Trails. If you get a chance, refer to page 143 in Jim Casada's book and page 35 in Ian Rudder's. They are available at the Oconaluftee Visitor Center and possibly elsewhere near Bryson City.

2/15 Update: Deleted map image previously posted.

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-15-2012 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: To help protect the wellbeing of the waters, etc.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:27 PM

Thank you all for the great advice and suggestions. I have Ian's book, so I will pour over the Deep Creek portion.

Thanks again.

Hopefully, I'll have a successful report to make the week after next.