Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 07-19-2011, 10:17 PM

Default West yellowstone

Hey guys,
gonna be fishing the west yellowstone area the first week of august, tying up some flies, need some advice on the "must have" patterns. I've never been out west before so any stream info you want to throw in would be good too. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:31 PM

I fished the West Yelowstone area which included 8 - 10 streams in the Park and several out side. They have been hampered by excessively high water this year because of a tremendous snow pack and a slow warming this spring. I'm afraid you might find alot of high cold water. We changed our plans this year (normally we go to the Montana/yellowstone area) because of the water. We caught fish on everything that we took and this included flies we use around the mountains. Don't really know what to tell you to take since this is a really unusual spring/summer out there. you might call some of the fly shops in the West Yellowstone and see what they say about the conditions and if it isn't too late you might do as we did ~~~~~ head to Colorado..
GOOD LUCK in what ever you decide to do
Old 07-20-2011, 12:19 AM

Going to be out there myself around that time and can't wait! All this water means lots of BIG healthy fish! I plan on keeping things pretty simply as far as fly selection. Will probably fish streamers a fair amount of time as well as some hoppers. Also going to be ready for PMDs and Epeorus mayflies. I have encountered good spinner falls of the latter on the Madison outside the park in years past. Also have plenty of caddis patterns ready to go...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 AM

If I were in West Yellowstone, I could not resist hitting the Henry's Fork. Not that far away. Trouthunter and Henry's Fork Anglers web sites can give some hatch info.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:27 AM

Flyfishnsleep - I think you are going to hit the Madison in great shape. From all I hear August and September should be great this year. I understand the Madison is fishing great at this time. I would say don't hesitate to call some of the area fly shops out there and ask what flies are hot. If you will have a car and can move around you will find some river somewhere in the area fishing good.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:30 AM

West Yellowstone is the perfect base for fishing the park and other surrounding waters. Inside the park, I would fish:

Madison River, runs beside the park road. Watch for elk.

The Gibbon Meadows, turn left at Madison Junction. Watch for thermal pot holes.

Gallatin River, on Hwy. 191. Watch for moose. These guys are huge.

On the northeast side, if the road is open, try the lamar river, soda butte and pebble creeks. Soda butte is my favorite. Large, beautiful cutthroats in almost every hole. Try to upper section close to the Pebble Creek campground. Check my avatar for a view of the soda butte in early september. Watch out for buffalo. These guys do not move for anybody! They don't have to! I also had a wolf to run across the road in front of me here. It was twice the size of my black lab!!!

Outside of the park:

The Madison River around the Three Dollar Bridge. You can stay on the bank and follow the trail for a ways. I do not recommend wading this river. The current is strong and the rocks are very slick. This area is owned by a conservancy to protect access for fishermen. Fish right beside the bank and behind any structure that you can find. Use some weight to get those nymphs down into the feeding column. Big Browns and Rainbows. Watch for pronghorn antelope.

Gallatin River: parallels Hwy 191. Beautiful scenery. Nice Rainbows. More moose, right beside the road, No kidding!!

The Ruby, the Bighole, the Beaverhead, the Bighorn, it just goes on and on.

Try ants, beetles, hoppers, and nymphs, and alot of the same dries that you would use around here. Use barbless hooks inside the park. Lots of fly shops in West that will help you. Parks Fly shop in Gardiner is also a good shop. I hope the water cooperates for you. You will have fun and the scenery will blow you away. Be sure to share some pictures with the board.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:28 AM

I would call Blue Ribbon Flies or Bob Jacklin as the bugs are off this year, late. The Salmon flies are just ending as are the PMD's. If the water has dropped and the air has warmed then it will be hopper season, especially on windy days, which is everyday.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:52 PM

Default Madison, ouside Yellowstone Park

I was in W. Y. a year ago. We bought several flies, at most every shop we visited. The guides were helpful and very knowledgeable, gave us the best advice for where to fish rather than what to use.

I took a c.d.c. cadis my pal ties. It is a simple cadis tied with c.d.c. rather than elk/deer hair.

We slammed fish on the bug from Raynold's bridge to three dollar bridge. We had a guide only one day and then walked in and fished. We used a double hook up with the iris cadis we bought at Blue Ribbon and our bug on the bottom.

I bought a bunch of bugs from every fly shop from Livingston to W. Y. Still have them on the boxes.

Tie a cadis in the traditional way but use c.d.c. on top. Take plenty of frog's fanny and buckle in.

b.t.w.
don't expect good food in W.Y. as one guy at Jack Jacklyn's told me the best food is 60 miles in either direction. Whatever you do, DO NOT EAT AT THE TACO BUS, I did and spent the next day in the e.r. food poisoning. Big Bear cafe is good on the way to Henry's Fork.

good luck pal.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeye valdez View Post
I was in W. Y. a year ago. We bought several flies, at most every shop we visited. The guides were helpful and very knowledgeable, gave us the best advice for where to fish rather than what to use.

I took a c.d.c. cadis my pal ties. It is a simple cadis tied with c.d.c. rather than elk/deer hair.

We slammed fish on the bug from Raynold's bridge to three dollar bridge. We had a guide only one day and then walked in and fished. We used a double hook up with the iris cadis we bought at Blue Ribbon and our bug on the bottom.

I bought a bunch of bugs from every fly shop from Livingston to W. Y. Still have them on the boxes.

Tie a cadis in the traditional way but use c.d.c. on top. Take plenty of frog's fanny and buckle in.

b.t.w.
don't expect good food in W.Y. as one guy at Jack Jacklyn's told me the best food is 60 miles in either direction. Whatever you do, DO NOT EAT AT THE TACO BUS, I did and spent the next day in the e.r. food poisoning. Big Bear cafe is good on the way to Henry's Fork.

good luck pal.
Man, I ate at the Bus four times last year, love the place.

For a good breakfast and dinner on some nights you can't beat Campfire Lodge just below Hebgan dam
Old 07-22-2011, 09:07 AM

I'm going to be in Yellowstone the same week. West Yellowstone the first part of the week in particular. I am camping in the park. Hopefully I'll run into some fellow Tennesseans. I will be mostly fishing alone so if you want to team up out there one morning or evening let me know.