Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 07-20-2011, 10:50 PM

Default Suggestions needed

After my Forney Creek trip earlier this summer, I realized that I needed to do my first pure backcountry fishing trip as opposed to my usual backpack with fishing on the side trip. I've been flyfishing for almost a year now and backpacking for a lot longer. (I'll be doing this solo unless one of you all are planning on getting out in the middle of next week and want to hook up...either Wed, Thurs, Fri or Thurs, Fri, Sat...not sure yet).

So I'm dropping the kids off in Rockford/Maryville in the mid morning and heading to the mountains after that. So my question is what would be a better place to stay and fish for two days? It needs to be on the TN side.

-My first thought was #18. I've camped there a long time ago but don't know much about the fishing. Its not a far hike so I know I could do a decent amount of fishing the first day.

- My second thought was #23. (There is room there) My very first backcountry fishing experience was at 30 and 23. The fishing was awesome and Goshen Prong Trail is one of the prettiest trails I've hiked on. The problem is that it is a bit longer of a hike back there.

Out of those two what would you suggest? How's the water around #18? Are there any other places you would suggest like #1, #17, #21, #31, #32?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:47 AM

I hiked to CS 18 a few years back. I didn't catch anything, but my excuse is that I didn't give myself enough time... and I'm not the best angler by far. I hope you have a good outing.

JF
Old 07-21-2011, 12:06 PM

Personally I would head for #23...lots more water up that way so even if someone else is there to fish you should be able to find plenty of open water.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 PM

From what you suggested I'd do 23. Lots of different headwater streams. Plus you are a little higher up in elevation, which might be an issue for fishing and comfort. Why are you ruling out the NC side?

If 23 is too much hiking then the new 21 should fit the bill. I think most of the TN side is better suited for daytrips (23, 24, 30 excluded).
Old 07-21-2011, 05:37 PM

I figured since I was going to be in Maryville, I would stay close. It would make pocking my kids up a little easier as well. If I get to Elkmont around noon, then if I haul tail at 2-3 mph I can get to #23 around 3 pm. Never been to the new #21.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 PM

No. 21 is apparently near Little River milemarker 53 for which it is named and according to TI Map 316 is just up Huskey Gap Trail from its junction with Little River Trail, which is about 3 miles from the Little River Trailhead.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:57 PM

My vote would be to set up camp at #24....I was up there the middle of June and fished above it around 30 and from the forks of the river back up....there is still plenty of water there and the fishing was great....fishing from the campsite up stream you stand a good chance to catch a slam....check out the photos from my post about Fathers Day on the fishing board....this is a relatively easy 5 mile hike with a great campsite and loads of fishing.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:46 PM

24 is closed b/c of bear problems. I'm headed to 23 on Wednesday.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:50 AM

If you are going to 23...walk back down to where the trail starts to climb up what we call the "bluff" and fish back to where the trail comes back down to the river....the water through here is flat and is some great dry fly fishing....also...there is a very nice pool just before the island where the stream reconnects...this was my grandfather's favorite spot and would usually hold a nice fish.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benintenn View Post
24 is closed b/c of bear problems. I'm headed to 23 on Wednesday.
When my son and I were leaving 24 after Father's Day weekend we saw the largest bear I have ever seen in the park wading across the river just above the footbridge at Fish Camp Prong