Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 07-02-2011, 08:42 PM

Default New to the board wanting to learn

Howdy! I am new to the board and somewhat new to the sport. I just moved back to East Tennessee after being away for almost 20 years. As far as fishing some of fondest memories was going fishing with father as a child. My dad loved to fish, in fact he went fishing the day before he passed away. It also brought me closer to my father in law who was a big fly fisherman. Once his health got to the point where he could not go fishing he started making fly rods. So over my desk are3 bamboo fly rods the he made for my wife, son and myself. I also have a great 6 ft 3 wt bamboo rod tht was made by Mike Brooks. It is a work of art.
So here is the problem, even though my father took me fishing all the time as a child when it came to fishing he was not a good fisherman. From what I have been told my father in law was a good fly fisherman in his younger days but his health did not allow him to do much fishing or teaching in the years I was around him.
So at 44 years old I am passing the love of fishing to my son. In fact he caught his first trout at the Holt Park in Gatlinburg yesterday. He loved it. But with that said I love to read the board here to help me learn how to do better at this sport that I enjoy.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:33 PM

Welcome to the forum. Little River Outfitters and owned and operated by some wonderful people. They have a great fly shop and very fair prices. So; I would feel confident in recommending that you stop in and chat with them about getting your equipment and flies up to date.

Also; use the SEARCH feature on the forums to look up some great topics and discussions.

If you want to learn tail-waters; shoot me a PM and I will try and give you some pointers or avoidable blunders...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-06-2011, 10:18 PM

Welcome from me as well, we are always glad to have people on board that love the sport as we do.
I too would love to share some of my experience with you and I offered you an invitation that followed your other post. I'll be glad to meet you on the Tn. side if that would work better for you. I'm retired and try to stay in a creek as much as I can..

WELCOME again............Bob
Hats off to Madison Boats , he is a great guy and you would do well to spend some time with him
Old 07-07-2011, 06:14 PM

Bob,

I would love to take you up on your offer sometime. I am happy to fish anywhere.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:42 PM

You say when and where and we'll get together. Give me a day or two notice and we'll come to Tn. if you prefer.........Thanks Bob
Old 07-17-2011, 02:22 PM

smccarter, I welcome you as well and am looking forward to hearing more from you on your outings.

Shoot me an e-mail to info@saintclairmapping.com specifying a free map of your choosing from www.smokystreams.com/maps .

JF
Old 07-17-2011, 02:54 PM

Welcome to the board! Welcome back to east Tennessee! Alcoa is a great location for you- TVA lakes for warmwater fishing and the mountains for coldwater fishing. Treasure those bamboo rods, not only for the sentimental value but for the beauty of the craft.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:38 AM

welcome to the Board. Hope you have the opportunity to fish often and will post about it. Some of us live vicariously through the deeds of others.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:48 PM

Thanks everyone. I am hoping this fall will be good for fishing with work and everything. I did take my 5 year old son fishing at Holt Park in Gatlinburg. He caught a nice rainbow that looked to be well over a 12 inches long. Bad dad here did not have a camera with him to get the picture of the fish with his Spiderman fishing rod. Next time I will have it however. Hopefully he will fall in love with fishing and will be ready to start fly fishing when he gets a little older.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:29 PM

If you don't have a picture, then the fish can be any size you want! Glad you are taking your son fishing. Not enough of that going around!