Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-27-2011, 07:16 AM

Default suggestion for 4 guys

Can I get some suggestions for 4 men to be able to fish from one vehicle and not be just right on top of each other? We have been doing this trip every year for 3 years, it is our planning retreat for the Elders of our church. Usually fish early morning and maybe late afternoon. Last couple of years we have hit Chimney Tops Trail Head, Chimney Tops Picnic area, and Greenbrier at bridge and picnic area. 2 of us are pretty seasoned, 2 are not so much. Any advise on how and where things are fishing well for the 4 of us would be great!! I am also planning on lots of yellow patterns, lime green trude, prince nymph, and BWO.... any other suggestions or corrections would be great for patters also.

We will be fishing July 29-31.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:28 AM

Lightbulb

BamaBum,
I would order one of JoeFred's Maps of the mountain streams. This will give you some great information to work with...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-27-2011, 08:45 AM

Dont forget the ants, beetles, and green weenies.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 AM

Never fished a green weenie. Read about them on this site allot. Fish them just like a prince or BH?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
BamaBum,
I would order one of JoeFred's Maps of the mountain streams. This will give you some great information to work with...
Thanks, Shawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBum View Post
Can I get some suggestions for 4 men to be able to fish from one vehicle and not be just right on top of each other? ...We will be fishing July 29-31.
BamaBum, I can't get you a map in time, but LRO may still have some Little River Maps. Strictly from a logistics standpoint, I suggest Middle Prong Little River. The road runs right along the stream for the most part for about seven miles up to the turnaround. (The tag "Camp Townsend" is the present day location of Tremont Institute.)

Old 07-27-2011, 10:12 AM

Thanx a ton Joe! Do you have a digital form of the map I can purchase from you? I have a large format/banner printer that I could print one copy of it, with your permission of course.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:34 AM

Shoot an e-mail to info@saintclairmapping.com
Old 07-27-2011, 11:43 AM

I'm taking 3+1 a week from saturday. IMO, go up above Elkmont campground. Don't fish the first .5-1 mile. Head up until the bank is about 15-20ft above the river and then suddenly drops down to just 4-5ft (About a mile up?) and start fishing...plenty of room. You guys can take turns or break up into teams of two with the other well ahead so the fish have calmed down by the time the other team gets there. If you tie crappy flies like I do, stop by LRO and buy some nice ones. I seem to catch more fish on their flies than my own (doesn't help that I tie like I have no thumbs). The Chimneys picnic area might be a good idea too. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBum View Post
Thanx a ton Joe! Do you have a digital form of the map I can purchase from you? I have a large format/banner printer that I could print one copy of it, with your permission of course.
Sorry, BamaBum. I have no completed detailed map of the Middle Prong, or the area just above Elkmont CG BRF mentioned. You might want to check out the basic Little River streams map http://www.smokystreams.com/freebies...er_freebie.pdf from which you can do some screen shots. With those and the official Park Trail Map, you should be pretty much set... map-wise at least.

Have a good trip.

JF
Old 07-28-2011, 12:57 AM

Thanx a ton Fellas. I hope to have a good report to post on here Tuesday when I get back home!!